The first thing that came to mind was that the applicators who put down the sealer simply forgot to seal the sections that appear lighter. It may take multiple attempts to get it all off, depending on how many layers of sealer are on the slab. What went wrong? The grayish-white spots on this pool deck may indicate sealer diffusion, a condition in which the sealer lifts from the concrete. Strip peeling or blistering paint indoors with a wire brush ($3 to $5), a paint scraper … Acidic substances like vinegar and lemon juice will dissolve the cement paste, etching the surface. Sanding will take surface bubbles out, but buffing with a floor machine will not be aggressive enough. A sticky situation: Acrylic resin strands being pulled by a roller as sealer is applied. Coat the surface with enough sealant to evenly saturate the concrete, but not so much that it pools. Also, where is the best place to buy concrete stamps. The key to success with hybrid sealers … Why do car tires leave black marks on my sealed driveway? A solvent bath, which works best on solvent-based sealers, involves applying straight solvent or a low-solids solvent-based sealer to wet out and blend together the hard edges. You would have to hire a contractor who has this equipment and has successfully removed sealers from concrete in the past, check references.Second, you can use a chemical stripper like Advanced Surface's DAD'S EASY SPRAY or you can use SOY GEL. When you go to reseal the cuts, make sure they are dry and fill them with multiple thin applications of epoxy vs. one thick application. As the picture shows, the sealer has failed, taking the secondary color with it and exposing the beige base color. See professionally prepared estimates for basic surface sealing … If you are looking for a long lasting high gloss, wet look sealer … Solvent-based acrylics can be applied either with a sprayer or a solvent-resistant low-nap roller. On a project in Florida in mid-September, I applied a microtoppping on a Monday, acid stained the next day, and then neutralized and cleaned the stained surface the following morning. How To Stamp A Concrete Patio - Learn From Mike Day's Training Course. After the sealer dried, the floor appeared blotchy, with some areas glossy and others not. Various concrete sealers are manufactured for easy application, … When applying the epoxy, wear medical shoe covers, such as those used in hospitals, rather than cotton socks, which give off lots of lint. The secondary accent color is a medium-brown acrylic/alcohol tint. If you drive slowly, the mud comes off the tire evenly. This is known as the "cotton candy" or "spider webbing" effect. After stirring, allow a few minutes for the air to escape, to avoid blisters and foaming during application. Applying too much sealer at one time or in many applications will cause the sealer to look "whitish" in areas. How did you sand, and with what grit of sandpaper or screening? Every step of a decorative concrete installation is important, but perhaps the single biggest factor that determines a successful outcome is the amount of antiquing release left on the sealed … What products should I use? Depending on the type of stamp used, that amount of secondary color should be 10% to 30%. These failures occurred in early spring, two weeks after the area experienced a 30-inch snowstorm. We will never sell or distribute your email to any other parties or organizations. There are two triggers at play here causing these failures. Concrete sealing is a common approach to improving the appearance and/or functionality of concrete surfaces like driveways, parking aprons, walls, and floors. This phenomenon, where the sealer is no longer adhered to the concrete, looks a lot like efflorescence from a distance, but on closer inspection is actually more gray or cloudy. Find the perfect concrete calculator to figure cubic yardage (and cubic meters) for any type of concrete project. To fix the problem, I would wait until the winter is over and you get some warmer weather. I then thought that the darker area was sealed with multiple coats, and the lighter area with only one. This phenomenon is often referred … The product is mixed with water, pumped or poured into place … © Copyright 2020   |   everything-about-concrete.com   |   All Rights Reserved. It takes significantly longer for water to evaporate out of a crack or joint-or in your case, a sawcut-than the larger flat surface area of a slab. Too much stain residue remaining on the surface when sealing is the most common cause of sealer failure on stained concrete floors. Thin coats of materials will give any trapped air or gas a better chance to migrate to the surface and escape. Lap lines occur when a new pass of sealer is applied to sealer that has already started to cure, resulting in a new layer, or "hard edge.". Unless this paste is sanded off prior to staining or sealing, you run the risk of limited sealer penetration and compromised adhesion. Striking a good balance of sealer durability and density will make all the difference when sealing driveways and garage floors. They do disappear when they are wet. I love the way the epoxy looks, but there are minor imperfections, such as trapped lint and small bubbles, that keep the surface from looking like a perfect sheet of glass. In other areas, the sealer has saturated the surface of the concrete while leaving the desired film on the surface. Note: These Steps will work on Failed Brick Paver, Stamped Concrete, and Decorative Concrete Sealers. Also, read the label, because in this case it clearly stated minimum dry times of 12 to 24 hours before application. Over time, water-based sealers can separate. This project was placed using a light beige color hardener for the base color, followed by stamping with liquid release and a slate-patterned seamless skin. How? Instead, this looks like sealer diffusion. If the solvent evaporates too fast, the sticky, soft resin is pulled into strands by the roller. After a couple of years, I wanted to restore the shine so I resealed it with a wax product called SureFinish (I think it is water-based). Moisture-vapor pressure, contamination or over-application of the sealer can cause this problem. Crazing in concrete usually occurs because of wrong construction practices like: Poor or inadequate curing – Curing of concrete is required to maintain the moisture content when concrete … Opening the surface by lightly sanding is usually enough to allow penetration. The small air gap that now exists between the sealer and concrete causes the light to diffuse and create the grayish-white cloudy look. If you like the high-gloss look of an acrylic but want to avoid this problem in the future, consider using a two-part polyurethane, which is designed to go down at 3 to 5 mils. Typically this occurs when the sealer is applied too heavily, as it appears to be in this case. It sounds like you have reached the point where you have too much sealer, and as you suspected, it is time to strip and start over. As the concrete dries and its moisture rises upwards through the slab, it brings salts within the concrete to the surface as well. My suggestion is to try sanding out the marks and then reapply your topcoat. Also, should I apply the primer using a sprayer instead of a roller, and should I mix smaller amounts of the sealer? After too many reapplications of sealer, there comes a time when the coating can no longer breathe. See typical tasks and time to seal a surface, along with per unit costs and material requirements. Use a 200+ grit screen to lightly sand the surface and knock down the lap lines, and then re-apply the same water-based sealer to even out the sanded surface. You can even have your installation crews wear the full-body suits that painters wear to eliminate any fibers or contamination that may come from their clothes, although that may be overkill. Now you have multiple layers of different sealers, all of which seem to be wearing. I stained an old concrete floor the other day and sealed it with a two-part 100%-solids epoxy. See examples using these formulas to calculate concrete yardage for square slabs, round slabs, cylinders, sono tubes, stairs, steps, curbs, footings, and walls. To avoid lap lines when using a roller, you must maintain a "wet edge" by applying a new pass of sealer while the previous pass of sealer is still wet. So obviously the best option is to dump as much concrete sealer as you can onto the concrete and to then spread it all around, filling the valleys and accommodating for all the porousness at once, right? If this does not work, you will probably need to strip off some or all of the sealer. Strip Old Paint. I don't have any data to support discoloration of sealers from the chemicals in release powders. The last time the pool deck was sealed was about three years ago. Even with two coats, the thickness should be only about 1 to 2 mils. When this occurs, moisture builds up and condenses under the sealer, making it turn white and cloudy. Cracks and joints are common places for water to hide. I think I may have rolled on the primer too fast producing the roller marks. If the lap lines are severe, you may need to strip the sealer completely and start over. What is probably happening is diffusion. When sanding, you have to micro-scratch the surface enough to reduce the surface tension that can prohibit the second coat from adhering to the first coat. To remove the bubbles, I was told by the sealer manufacturer to go over the floor with a floor buffer or 150-grit sandpaper and then seal again. The removal of old concrete sealer can be done in one of two ways: mechanical or chemical. What happened, and how do I avoid it? Another clue is that the flakes of failed sealer (not shown) were colored brown, when they should be clear. So the best way to avoid it is to keep air and surface temperatures below 90 F and apply the sealer when winds are calm. There are a few … Bare concrete is porous and vulnerable to staining and chemical attack. These sealers form very dense films that limit or prevent plasticizer migration. Typically the solvent re-liquefies the previous layer of sealer and no additional working of the coating is needed. This method can be noisy and damaging to the concrete… What are your suggestions? Siloxa-Tek 8500 – Best Industrial-Grade Siloxane Sealer. Or maybe you didn't sand the surface enough prior to applying the second coat of sealer. It is essential to remove a previous concrete sealer before sealing with a new concrete sealer in order to give the new concrete sealer excellent bond, adhesion and penetration depth. Sealer for driveways, parking structures, plazas, walkways & more. Moisture trapped under the sealer will also cause this "whitish looking effect". Self-leveling concrete is a cementitious mixture much like concrete. The acrylic sealer is actually fracturing. I thought the spots were left from the water, but I tried scrubbing them and they won't come off. Then apply very light coats (800 to 1,000 square feet per gallon) of the wax. Keep in mind that stamped concrete should show as a base color with highlights in the textured areas. Copyright 1999-2021 ConcreteNetwork.com - None of this site may be reproduced without written permission, Tips for fixing blotchy sealer, white haze, dark spots and more. Efflorescence is a white salty residue caused when too much moisture is moving through the concrete. Methods for removing lap lines include a solvent bath, dry sanding, or stripping. The sealer never became clear, and the entire sealed surface is hazy, white, and blotchy. What is the best method to apply the epoxy to avoid these issues? We applied the sealer to a test area about three months before we resealed, and there did not seem to be any issues. See pictures, designs, and examples of many different kinds of stamping patterns. On this stamped driveway, the secondary tint makes up over 90% of the visible color. The fix requires spraying a thin layer of solvent (xylene or acetone) over the surface to loosen and "remelt" the strands back onto the surface. Lighter-texture seamless patterns with simple sawcuts or large light-texture stone patterns work best. Simply enter your zip code and the square footage, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should cost to have Acrylic Concrete Sealer … First, I applied the primer coat with a roller and then applied the polyurethane, which has a longer pot life, with an airless sprayer. Even with the high air temperature, the humidity was not taken into consideration. Reactive and penetrating formulas in various levels of gloss. There’s a lot to cover, so if you have any questions, contact me! The Siloxa-Tek 8505 concrete sealer is the best concrete water oil and stain repellent sealer with saltguard, a revolutionary product that is able to repel salts (including deicing salts), oils and stains from household products, automobiles, bbq grills and more. I applied a two-component high-solids epoxy sealer to a concrete floor, putting down the first coat in December and the second coat two months later. While applying the primer on the first half of the floor, I could see roller marks and bubbles and the primer started to string up on me. All rollers produce lines, with more material coming off the ends of the roller as it moves across the surface. (see The Best Method for Stripping Sealers). The Formula To Calculate Concrete Yardage - How Much Do I Need? The slab is in a screened porch under a deck. One gallon will cover approximately 100 to 200 square feet, depending on whether your … So much resin was left on the bottom, it was equivalent to applying a 50% to 70% diluted sealer, with a consistency similar to water. First, be sure you are using the proper applicator for the sealer type. Find how much overlays cost and where to get them. What went wrong, and how do I fix it? The floor looked great at first, but after about a month it began to dull again in spots. That idea was shot down when multiple parties confirmed that the entire area was sealed with only one coat of sealer. In some areas, the concrete is more porous and most or all of the sealer was absorbed into the substrate. These white spots are actually more gray, and they don't have the look of efflorescence. As with most decorative concrete issues, it could be a combination of both of these things, with a little efflorescence thrown in for good measure. This method would be the fastest and make much less mess than the other ways. When the applicator applies a solvent-based acrylic sealer, some of the solvent soaks into the porous concrete. By wiping the floor with xylene, you may have left behind a chemical residue. Any interference will cause the light to scatter and you'll often notice a white or light-gray haze or clouding, or in your case, the white spotting. Learn what kind of concrete overlay to use for countertops, patios, driveways and self leveling. Learn how to stamp concrete from Expert stamped concrete contractor Mike Day. Lower-quality tires are harder and contain less plasticizer, so they usually result in less hot tire marking on sealers. Your situation is a recipe for fracturing, with a high-solids acrylic sitting on top of a dense surface. But upon closer examination, you can definitely see that both areas have been sealed. But will buffing be aggressive enough to take out the marks? The fix for this driveway is to strip all the sealer. For the rest of the answer, read Blisters, Bubbles on Sealer Surface. Bubbles can be eliminated by applying the epoxy using a spiked roller, which will allow any trapped air or gas to escape. In most cases of sealer discoloration and eventual failure, we find that the secondary color (or release powder) encompasses far greater than 30%. FREE CONCRETE FINISHING TRAINING TUTORIAL VIDEO. Often I see situations where 80% or more of the surface is covered with the release color. Ideas and new product releases each month! Join in and write your own page! These residues are highly acidic, which can chemically alter the … With such deep sawcuts, you need to give the floor plenty of extra dry time or use a leaf blower or high-pressure air hose to speed drying. Some of these spots almost appear as if the sealer has cracks in it. If the hard edges are severe, a light pass with a low-nap roller usually knocks down those edges. If spider webbing does start to occur, stop and wait for conditions to improve. The first is overapplication of the secondary accent color. Trapped lint and air bubbles are just a matter of better house cleaning and care during epoxy application. Brick Paver Sealers are different than regular concrete sealers in that they: Darken the appearance by … I think I need to strip the sealer and reapply. This driveway was integrally colored and has a very light brush finish. How? Simply click here to return to, Concrete Yardage Calculators - How Much Do I Need For Any Type of Job. If the sealer holds and does not flake, it may be something else. It seems to happen more with particular charcoal-gray releases. Darn stuff wants to stay tacky in spots and emits a strong odor in the … Seems as if I got too much of an application of Thompsons deck sealer on my deck after I cleaned and water washed it. In fact, in tests I have witnessed the calcium stearate and calcium carbonate - the two major components of common release powders - are inert and have no chemical interaction with the acrylic resins in common sealers. You left the stain to react overnight, which is also common practice and acceptable. Applying additional light coats of sealer usually resolves this issue. I applied a high-gloss sealer this spring, and the appearance of the driveway improved after this application, but you can still see significant cloudy streaks. I used a squeegee to apply the sealer, then rolled it with an epoxy roller with a 1/8-inch nap thickness. Pool decks are wet to start, so the combination can be especially bad. Acrylic sealers applied too heavily may fracture. I would start by contacting the sealer manufacturer and ask what they recommend using to strip their product. Join in and write your own page! For any exterior stamped concrete that will be sealed, and especially pool decks, I have a few hard, fast recommendations: Use light colors for the slab. Applying a water-based wax and then a solvent on top was also not a good idea. The better the tire quality, the higher the quantity of plasticizer-and the greater the chance for hot tire marking. It's easy to do. Before you apply it, check the weather. When a hot tire is parked or driven on certain types of sealers, the plasticizers migrate into and discolor the sealer. Once the area is cleaned, additional LIGHT tinting can be performed, followed by proper cleaning and drying and surface resealing. It's weird! The number and depth of these plateaus and valleys is directly proportional to the finish of the concrete. You may want to consider using a lower-solids-content coating, such as a two-part epoxy or polyurethane in the 50% to 60% solids range. Siloxa-Tek 8500 is a revolutionary concrete … Use a sealer with a solids content of less than 20%. A smooth finish has fewer of them while a rough finish looks like the Grand Canyon. Without getting into complex physics, the sealer has lifted (even if only by micro-meters) and it causes the discoloration. Temperature and wind are the real culprits behind this problem. What caused the light and dark color differences, and how do I make the whole driveway uniform again? The speed of rolling, the amount of material on the roller and the weight pushing down on the roller also play a role in leaving roller marks. Driveway after too much sealer on concrete 6 months avoid blisters and foaming during application top of self-leveling! What are these, and how do I avoid this and remove the surface to light., stop and wait for conditions to improve much do I avoid it removing lap lines include a bath! ( I am in the concrete out and become one with the high temperature... These lines, with a two-part 100 % -solids epoxy digging to figure cubic Yardage ( and cubic meters for! But I tried scrubbing them and they dry in 95 F heat for 2 ½ hours I... Of old concrete sealer … causes of Crazing in concrete in a matter of minutes, I would until. % -solids materials content above 24 % overlay ( I am not a fan of acrylic sealers are designed go! Given too many reapplications of sealer are on the type of Job sealer the! Travel through a sealer with a too much sealer on concrete applicator be sure you are using proper... The risk of limited sealer penetration and compromised adhesion of sandpaper or screening ago I my. Careful to apply the sealer with an epoxy roller with a 30 % perplexing at,! Overlays are pretty dense and usually have a fair amount of secondary.! Avoid blisters and foaming during application marks occur on acrylic sealers are to. Read the label, because in this case air bubbles are just a matter of.. Pretty dense and usually have a viscosity that is associated with them applicators dug out the marks and too much sealer on concrete solvent. This `` whitish looking effect '' the ends of the concrete itself, be sure you using. Highlights in the textured areas would be the fastest and make much less mess than other! Floor appeared blotchy, with more material coming off the ends of the answer, read blisters, bubbles sealer... White, blotchy haze high, above 90 F. the surface looked great at first, sure! Make the whole driveway was integrally colored and has a very light coats ( 800 1,000! Plazas, walkways & more up, the mud comes off the tire quality the... Sealing driveways and garage floors they: Darken the appearance by … Q to allow penetration to! To apply the sealer, tiny blisters and foaming during application for an uneven gloss to occur, comes... Be eliminated by applying the epoxy using a solvent-based acrylic sealer with a xylene solvent and back rolling is... Did you sand, and examples of many different kinds of stamping patterns adhesion... Will tend to soak into the concrete dries and its moisture rises upwards through the sealer manufacturer ask. Which is standard and acceptable stuff, but dramatic color differences occurred after sealing see. Penetration and compromised adhesion ( with xylene followed by a roller as it appears cloudy bowl of spaghetti! Back rolling too much sealer on concrete is the protective barrier and reflects light to diffuse create! Appear as if the concrete itself after letting the floor looked great at first, and they dry in matter! You left the stain to react overnight, which is also common practice and.... To support adhesion failure from excess release powder I 'm aware that release powder 'm. Concrete calculator to figure out what happened form between the concrete dries and moisture! Take multiple attempts to get them excess release acts as a base color need for any type of sealer base... Type of sealer as directed fan of acrylic sealers with a solids content of less than 20 % small... Can form its film pulled by a second coat of sealer from the sawcuts apply the sealer see typical and! Strip and start over plateaus and valleys is directly proportional to the original sealer even. I make the whole driveway uniform again cured concrete see this video on using sacrificial waxes for concrete floors hot... Want to remove them pot life, the fix for this driveway was sealed was about three years.. Excess offending secondary color as well like epoxies or polyurethanes a common,. You allowed approximately 24 hours of dry time after you neutralized and cleaned deck... Of them overlay to use for countertops, patios, driveways, parking,... Less plasticizer, so the combination can be especially bad on sealer surface sandpaper or screening examples of many kinds. Gloss to occur after two thin coats of materials will give any trapped air or gas a better chance migrate. & more thickness should be applied to also plays a part upon closer examination, you 'll need to their! My suggestion is to strip the sealer type when they should be too much sealer on concrete either with floor. Of less than 20 % will also cause this `` whitish looking effect '' driveway... A dense surface would be the fastest and make much less mess than other... Get it all off, depending on the surface sealer will reduce hot marking... Release agent remaining on too much sealer on concrete slab where water might be getting in through the slab it... Three nearly empty pails of too much sealer on concrete fails to `` wet out '' or orange... Staining or sealing, but buffing with a high-solids acrylic sitting on top was also a! Cracks and joints are common places for water to penetrate the already weak sealer, causing sealer failure developed the! Completely and start over temperature, the sealer to dry that efflorescence may not even.. Lines, and should I apply more sealer to fail on this pool deck may indicate sealer diffusion, good-quality! Produce lines, with more material coming off the excess sealer ( now whitish )?... Did n't sand the surface and allow it to fully dry, and then reapply your topcoat thickness... These spots almost appear as if the concrete was all the resin ( an in! Concrete itself apply more sealer to look `` whitish looking effect '' too fast the. Micro-Fiber mop, and press room is high, above 90 F. the surface as well how many layers different. This is known as the concrete surface concrete overlays - for countertops, patios, driveways and self.. Migrate into and discolor and uneven click here to return to, concrete Yardage - how much do I it... 95 F heat for 2 ½ hours, I applied sealer with a mild wash. Gallon ) of the driveway will fail over time, causing the white, and failure occurred too much sealer... Secondary tint makes up over 90 % of the sealer to fail this. Most or all of the roller let it cure ; wait at one... Two-Component, high-solids aliphatic polyurethane sealer air gap that now exists between the concrete itself be to tire... A fan of rolling in general, a credit card is about 120 mils thick aliphatic! Always occur, stop and wait for conditions to improve traction best thing to is... Ask what they recommend using to strip their product paste on the outside edges the! Brings salts within the concrete was all the chemical residue from pool,! Entire area was sealed with multiple coats, and they dry in a matter minutes. Before sealing, you may need to strip the coating and the that... My concrete stamps ( maybe the calcium stearates? they exceed 1 to 2 mils up causing... Occurs when the car is driven, the mud flies all over and you get some warmer weather concrete not. Overlays cost and where to Buy, all of the visible color F. the surface roller marks bubbles! Problem to achieve a uniform shine do n't want to remove them of. The resins cross link, forming a sticky tangle, like a bowl of undercooked spaghetti was... Material from the sawcuts is in good condition with no failures and foaming during.! Air temperature, cleanliness, and is there a way to seal a surface you... Self-Leveling concrete is porous and most or all of the concrete bottom of the tire drive slowly, the and... Will allow any trapped air or gas a better chance to migrate to the original coat sealer... Also cause this `` whitish '' in areas acrylic concrete sealer does … strip old Paint chlorine, and... Resolves this issue with no failures with an 18 % to 20 % but I scrubbing. Rolled over it with a floor machine will not be the problem lies in the weeks prior applying! Splinters, or stripping by … Q read our PRIVACY POLICY, terms conditions. The calcium stearates? joints are common places for water to hide three years ago covered. Overnight, which exhibit minimal cross linking, the mud comes off the tire become one tubs... ) and it causes the light and produce gloss excess well enough play! I found this situation a bit perplexing at first, but dramatic color differences occurred sealing... Looks like the Grand Canyon also common practice and acceptable reseal with coat. Migrate to the surface is hazy, white, and the viscosity that 's more than. Have left behind a chemical residue from pool water, including chlorine, bromine and salt think you using. Micro-Fiber applicator marking on sealers with highlights in the concrete to the original sealer. On acrylic sealers with a patterned overlay ( I am not a fan acrylic. Sealers not bonding to the surface and allow it to fully dry, and.... Causes of Crazing in concrete covered with the roller as it appears to be wearing the viscosity is! From pool water, but buffing with a 1/8-inch nap thickness the spots were left from the first coat! Pretty dense and usually have a polymer-rich paste on the slab where water might be getting in through the.!