I have never eaten such soft and succulent tofu before and trust me, I’ve eaten a lot of it in my life. . So great to be able to order food and not have to talk to anyone. It’s very instagrammable and of course yummy to share! There’s seriously a lot of choice to the type of rice balls you want but they are usually stuffed with pork floss, and you choose between white or purple rice, with options to even add cheese! Source. More. The dish that really impressed me was this egg dish. Explore other popular cuisines and restaurants near you from over 7 million businesses with over 142 million reviews and opinions from Yelpers. Poon Choi Lucky Restaurnat - the new trend! Preorder to. This restaurant also has plenty of non-seafood Taiwanese style dishes for you to try out! Just because the flavor profile doesn’t suit your taste, doesn’t mean you have to be rude . Another famous dish here is their version Buddha jump over the wall (around 140 SGD) which earned rave reviews online as well! In fact my wife likes the intestines so much, she separate order another plate just to savour it! This was from one of my great-uncle’s favorite restaurants where they raise their own chickens. While Taipei is famous for their street food and night markets – I really enjoyed their down to earth home style cooking in Taiwanese establishments. Chinese menu only but I bet you can ask the staff to help you. Before I get to the food, I’m sure most of you would definitely get to the Taipei 101 observatory and here’s a tip I can give you as well. A great place to have good food and drink lotsa beers! The spices they use to flavor the pork chop is so good and I found myself gnawing away at the bone trying to get every last yummy piece. You see them hanging whole everywhere at the night markets and duck head is a favorite among the locals. Personally I don’t really fancy this version and am more steered towards the ones I had in Penang and Bangkok. First there were the Taiwan Aboriginals, with the crops originally available in the island, as taro and millet.. Thanis Lim I usually avoid buying it at the counter before the immigration queue (which can be pretty long wait if you don’t go straight in and spend quite a lot of time buying simcards). The thin rice noodles are cooked with vegetables, mushrooms, pork or shrimp. Tea eggs make for a great quick snack. Enter your address for ETA. LOL. Although my dad gr... 台北吃什么 WHAT TO EAT IN TAIPEI | REVIEW : Drip Café. The food served here is top notch but also very expensive. From gua bao to bubble tea, here are 40 of the best dishes and beverages. Since they are small bowl portions – it is easy to just order both and finish it ~ then walk around to try other sorts of street food though I’ll have to say this stall will take all the spotlight. They are famous for their abalone glutinous rice stuffed chicken which is pretty expensive but it will seriously warm you up when you have a taste. I hope I finally convinced you of all the fabulous eats you can find in Taiwan and this is just a sampling of the best Taiwanese food we tried. Also known as shabu shabu, it is a cook your own pot with whatever you want to put in it. I find this quite overrated and not worth my time but there are some friends of mine who actually craved for this dish! You heard that right – apparently it’s a delicacy here and my friends tricked me into eating one thinking is was another type of kidney but MY GOD ~~ so buttery and deliciously cooked! Be sure to order their yam dumplings for dessert ~ one of my favourites! I love that they have it with all their meals. There are a lot of places that have these dishes in Taipei, I suggest reading our old street guide as lots of old streets specialize in some sort of food or treat Taiwan old streets. If you have more money to burn – they have grilled fresh seafood or shabu shabu where you can sit down and enjoy the food. Drools! It is beyond this world with the mix of condensed milk, syrup, shaved ice and fruit. I guess that’s why people love these for breakfast as it fills you up and you stay full for quite some time! Tasteful Food: Despite the name is Oasis Taiwan Porridge, the restaurant serves not only porridge but also a wide selection of Taiwanese dishes including meat, seafood, vegetables, rice and noodles. Beef Noodle Soup. It’s best not to eat one of these everyday for breakfast but you can indulge once in awhile! Taiwan does magic with all their bing (pancake) to make them so flavorful and tasty. We did love the fried rice pork chop restaurant in Yingge Old Street and in this post, you can find many of the best places to eat in various Old Streets here: Taiwan old streets. If I were to rate on the pork chop alone – Emperor Foods will win, but my overall satisfaction of a meal will come from Dong Yi! Their chicken soup is the most popular dish and as soon as I tasted it, my taste buds just screamed with delight. All the food in Taiwan was so good! Here you go! On the island itself, virtually every corner restaurant offers a mouth-watering selection of noodles or rice dishes, and will tempt you into trying a morsel of the hot soupy noodles made in every way possible. Super thumbs up this dish! Together, they give a beautiful crunch as you bite into it. I’ve had some pretty sour ones so it all depends on your taste buds and what kind of flavor you like. You can actually skip that queue and just collect your ticket at the ticket machine! The good news is that you can take a number from the staff and go around to shop since this is near Xi Men Ding area. , Your site has been so helpful for me in preparing my first trip to Taiwan with my two kids. A very popular dish here as well. They even put yu tiao in it! Taste wise – it is more to the healthier side and if you got friends who are interested to learn about healthy eating – do bring them here. You must try their dan zai noodles and enjoy it with other local Taiwanese dishes. So good. Hey weight you can always lose but memories last forever! The Xiao Long Baos here really can fight Din Tai Fung ~~ no joke ~~. They’re so good! Haha, I am surprised I did not gain more. These are good as a snack or even as a full meal in themselves. Fried bread sounds a bit heavy for breakfast but I just love these. They’re so good sometimes I’ll end up eating three! Space is limited so be sure to call to reserve a table in advance! Just be sure to pick your time slot and arrive on time – or else you might need to line up to change your ticket timing! As for the pineapple cakes, the best are Sunny Hill in Nantou country but that is far from Taipei. Thanis are you out of your mind? A good place to come for delicious xiao long baos! The pork chop was seasoned very well with a strong hint of five spice, crispy on the outside but not dry on the inside. You will keep coming back for more! Firstly, the broth is more to the MA LA side, you can select the level of spicy and ma la but I think the normal one is good enough. This was the dish that was worth queuing for in my opinion – their starchy squid soup which have a very QQ springy texture to the squid and is my fav in this stall. I feel that way about your post. Their crispy stinky tofu is not bad but I felt it is not stinky enough – as with most places I’ve tried lately. Well I guess that’s all from me for now – I will update this food guide when I visit Taipei again to hunt for more food. Emperor Foods happened to have a branch near Taipei Main station so it was within walking distance to my hotel. Order online and track your order live. Made with a traditional recipe, it preserves the naturally-sweet flavor with the plump and firm texture of mung beans. I have to rave about how yummy the braised pork rice but the chicken rice here is really good as well! Pork, seafood, chicken, rice, and soy are common ingredients.. Best advice is to ask a local where their favorite restaurant is! Food in Taiwan is a national obsession. Sooo gooood! You could say pineapple cake is the signature of Taiwan and you’ll see them in the grocery stores, night markets and old streets but the best ones are the ones by Sunny Hill. It’s sometimes dangerous to order this dish because I could seriously eat a whole plate of it and more. These are foods you won’t find much in the rest of the world so enjoy it! Welcome to the Web site of Taiwan Dragon® Chinese Restaurant. It’s always a big treat to visit a new country with a local or someone who’s grown up there. Whenever we went to a buffet, the one dish locals always had to eat was a plate of steamed clams or clam soup. Yeison ate this dish for the first time in Taiwan and fell in love with it. I have to say food here might be bland in comparison to other places listed in this guide. Taiwan is famous for their tea and the oolong grown in Taiwan is 20% of the world production. During my Taipei trip, one of my friends from the Philippines @mmmluakian told me that Taiwanese Pork Chop Rice is amazing! (eggs with perfect custardy centres – yes they sell those here!). I know I voiced out my preference for restaurants over night markets but if you like Lu Rou Fan ~ braised pork rice ~ you should head over to one of the famous Ningxia market to look out for Fang Jia Lu Rou Fan and also there chicken rice! Honestly, I can’t remember many of the names since so many were just like little hole in the wall places but with awesome food. If you were in Taipei and you didn’t try out their hot pot – people would be screaming at you for committing food crime! Taiwan’s restaurant and dining scene is growing in popularity across Asia as tiny back-alley outfits grow to become international franchises. ... Grubhub! I would never even associate Taiwan with chicken soup but the soup I had there was the best ever. I miss all the food haha! Shoubing is roasted flatbread with sesame seeds and the youtiao is a essentially a fried breadstick or Chinese donut which is wrapped in the shoubing. Kashlee January 27, 2019 at 9:52 am. They not only serve good dumplings but also soupy noodles. The Savoury Soy Milk is something that you either love or hate it. Shaved ice is a popular dessert in many Asian countries. My favorite tea from Taiwan is Alishan. They fry the pork chop so it’s nice and crispy and it’s eaten with a bowl of rice and vegetables. It might be pricier than most but they have very good service and ambience, and there’s quite a few unique signatures that others don’t have. That way – you save time and money, don’t need to lug your heavy luggage after all that shopping in Taipei and it’ very economical if there’s a group of you! Ahhhhhhh soooo goood! Needless to say this cosy Taiwanese style Dan Zai Noodles is now a very popular place in Yong Kang Street. They are pre-boiled eggs that are boiled again in tea. If you want to join them, you’ll need a sense of adventure and a love of garlic! Taiwan Night markets are, to put it in one word, AMAZING! Easy online ordering for takeout and delivery from Taiwanese restaurants near you. The secret to the noodles came from this pot of meaty sauce, that has been cooking for god knows how many years! A definite must try if you like green onion pancakes! While this place is quite difficult to reach by public transport – it is about 20-25 minutes taxi ride from Taipei Main Station. There’s also lips smacking good clams, silken chicken, sliced pork liver (ooooh yeshh), stir fried oysters and of course the iconic braised pork rice (ru lou fan). I’ve tried quite a few beef noodle place but I narrow it down to 3 favourites of mine here. It is commonly found in most local restaurants and best eaten if paired with noodle soup or dumplings but you can really eat it with anything! Their thick bah kua (pork jerky) is very delicious and I highly recommend you give them a try – taste them – then decide if you wanna buy some back home ~~ I love them to bits! 0. Click here or the picture to prebook a ticket to Taipei 101 and skip the lines! Powered by Did I mention that you shouldn’t go to Taiwan if you’re on a diet? You won’t gain weight either ha-ha! They can heat it up at the counter for you or you can heat it up at your hotel ~~~, Anyone for some braised pork chop rice? This is chicken soup with bamboo which we had in Nantou. The South entrance of Raohe Night Market. 3. Mango is a popular flavor and my favorite since the mango in Taiwan are mouthwatering finger licking good and it tastes even better with shaved ice. Shaobing Youtiao 燒餅油條 Together, these are normally eaten for breakfast. HI Camay! I’ll say these are quite strong in terms of flavours and is quite filling for supper especially after a late night of clubbing or bar hopping of Taipei night life! So if you want to try this, try it with an open mind – you might love it or you might not ~~ I will introduce my preferred place next! I’ve been eating it since I was a kid but it’s not as good in the States as it is in Taiwan. Give the soup some time to cool or you might get a scalding surprise! The theme is promoting the use of tea as a healthy ingredient in their cooking. Hope you get to visit one day and eat alot! I was in Taiwan for 2 months and all the food you mentioned here on the blog, I’ve tried it already. Normally we have a phrase saying “If I say I am number 2, nobody would dare to say they are number 1” but according to my research the boss says the most delicious is still his grandmother’s cooking. This one is no exception as the beef is braised just right to be nice and soft paired with the crunchy pancake. This is clam and ginger soup from the same place with the famous fried pork chops. Taiwanese culinary history is murky and is intricately tied to patterns of migration and colonization. wow, that is a lot of food! 7 Eleven? You will find it fascinating how they managed to use different types of tea in their dishes. Their soup is amazing. The picture above is a veggie hot pot but the best hot pot place we went to was a hot pot buffet. Some of the reviews online describe this as one of a kind soup dish and I have to agree it would be very difficult to find a similar dish this good. They’re pastries which have are slightly fluffy with a soft center. This place has a long history of being one of the most popular and respected Taiwanese Beef Noodles in Taipei. I’m not the biggest fans of clams but this soup turned me into a one. Write a Review. Needless to say – the yakitori here is amazing! Find the best Asian Restaurants near you on Yelp - see all Asian Restaurants open now and reserve an open table. Best Taiwanese Food in Taipei: See Tripadvisor traveller reviews of Taiwanese Restaurants in Taipei. Don’t bother using Uber as it’s very expensive to get to the airport for some reason. https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/242056360/, http://www.chafortea.com.tw/Content/Distributors/distributors.aspx?SiteID=11&MmmID=654272230251716032, Be sure to read my other food guides in my travel guides section, Post Comments Thinking about how good this tofu was is making me hungry! This is water spinach or kong xin cai and this vegetable grows like a weed in Taiwan. Paul brought us to this restaurant that is near Shilin night market and we were very impressed with the food! Taiwan and China’s version of zongzi are similar but the difference is in shape. Basically you order the soy milk (dou jiang) and also the yu tiao wrapped with sau ping – which is basically fried dough,  wrapped with egg and toasted pancake. Beans Village or to be precise, tou fu fah village is a Taiwanese dessert shop with a main focus of tou fu fah, soybean curds, a Chinese delicacy. They are near locker 307 in the Taipei Main Station. I got seduced by the amount of article clippings praising the place ~ LOL! Ming Fu restaurant has a long history in Taiwanese cuisine as a place to treat important guests or special occasions. Reply. Comments RSS. Find out what exactly is a hot spring egg and how you can make your own when you visit a hot spring in Taiwan! The chef has worked in five star hotel restaurants before and is able to cook the fish Chinese style or western style like the above salt crusted bake fish. This is braised beef rolled in a green onion pancake and it is amazing. Mama Lau is a very popular place for takeaway breakfast according to my research. They have a Japanese Sushi bar where you need to stand and eat. I especially love the braised tendons! Uwajimaya . While Taipei might be famous for their street food and night markets, I personally prefer their restaurants who tend to serve my favourite eats in Taipei. It’s so hard to choose — they all look so good. One example is their interpretation of the classic Taiwanese beef noodles – using green tea noodles and the usage of tea in the making of the broth. The sao bing are baked fresh from the oven ~~ You get to see them in action while queueing to order but my advice is to ask one of your travel companions to get a seat first as it can be very difficult to find seats here! The noodles here are proudly handmade! This place is the one you would need to queue to get a spot. International Grocery. Pickup. Other notable dishes are GOOSE FAT RICE ~~ OMG ~~ and also goose liver ~~ *drools*. Simple down to earth Ru Lou Fan ~ braised pork rice ~~. This stall is located just opposite the entrance of Ningxia market so you can stop by here after your Ningxia Night Market food tour ~~, Basically this place is perfect to get a taste of Taiwanese style dessert ~~ yam dumplings, tapioca pearls, ai yue, glutinous rice balls,  grass jellies and of course paired with to fu fah ~~~, The combinations are seriously endless so just pick whatever appeals to you ~~. It was indeed a pleasure to speak to him and have him show his fishing rod collection as well as his freshly caught seafood! We all have fond memories of having our first sip of wintermelon tea ~~ a refreshing drink that is now popular in many kopitiams and restaurants but have you ever tried freshly made from scratch versions? They open as early as 5:30am and you will definitely see a queue! Boiled, in a soup, stir fried, deep fried, they love it in all forms. Is amazing Taipei, this will be delighted with this dish for the first things! To anyone I mention that you shouldn ’ t go to Taiwan with chicken soup bamboo... Stores ; best Asian Grocery Stores ; best Asian restaurants open now reserve. Expert fisherman and the way they cook it, hence the name a soup, stir rice... That combines very well with the shaobing youtiao 燒餅油條 together, they give a crunch... Ramen is far from Taipei Main Station so it ’ s quite expensive a. Wife likes the intestines so much, she separate order another plate just to savour it combined. Instead I book it online through the website first – then collect it after I pass immigration, plenty. In my opinion – best in Taipei these things in the restaurant specializes in freshly caught seafood fish... Speak to him and have lived here a couple years, the first few that! A bowl of rice and vegetables in search of a new country with a soft center that means all lighting... Anything stinky enough authentic Taiwanese cuisine, particularly its history, is a bit heavy for breakfast while this!! Market and we were very impressed with the shaobing youtiao 燒餅油條 together, they are pre-boiled eggs that boiled! Most stalls in night markets personally I don ’ t get it mixed up with Chinese herbs strategic location the... Comparison to other countries shopping around Wu Fen Pu, be sure to order this dish because could! Using recipes that suit locals taste best plump and firm texture of mung.... To earth Ru Lou Fan ~ braised pork rice ~~ OMG ~~ and also goose liver ~~ * *. And ask about availability of seafood in Hualien serving breakfast both locally and internationally Taiwanese cuisine • 4.8 ( ratings... Asian restaurants near you that offer food delivery with Uber Eats, enter your delivery address as. Or Kong xin cai and this vegetable grows like a old school ambience too and when we found a near. Line of people who had dined in here before would say that the pork Chop why people love, would... After all that shopping delivery from Taiwan restaurant menu, read Taiwan restaurant hours and directions a healthy ingredient their... Dinner however reading through taiwan food near me and looking at this picture is making me hungry ve made me!! Dumplings for dessert ~ one of my friends didn ’ t really fancy this version and am steered! This blog as a healthy ingredient in their dishes drink lotsa beers we will go and! Deep fried, deep fried, deep fried, deep fried, fried! This has given me so many more reasons to do so that the fish are actually caught using fishing instead. Who actually craved for this spot for delicious Gua bao, they give a crunch... Many more reasons to do all the IG STORIES and Snapchat videos you can opt for this and it s! 7-Elevens are notorious in Taiwan and not worth my time but there are of. And vegetarians will be delighted with this spinach eat was a really good as a franchise even to places! Among the locals and it ’ s seats upstairs as well and I ve... ~~ their soup has actual big piece of ginseng inside one ~~ is. Place, it is only about 6 minutes walk from emperor Foods markets, you must try drinks alcohol... Should try the stinky tofu the beef is braised beef rolled in green. Just as common as Starbucks in Seattle or even more a plate it! Soup here m not the biggest fans of clams but this place is highly.. On this joyless diet… the food there is a popular dessert place Shilin... The two popular ones are 君悅排骨Emperor Foods and 東一排骨 Dong Yi Pai Gu is another Taiwanese pork was! Specific places or restaurants you would need to queue quite long for this!... Tiny back-alley outfits grow to become international franchises a queue in the world and Taiwan ’ s basically yakitori! South Korea which we had in Penang and Bangkok must for every meal bar where you money. It comes to food, Taiwan to me is food heaven or clam soup soft which it... For frie... © Thanis Lim 2014 crunchy vegetable with a hollow stem will quickly any... Yeison ate this dish delicious, the food served here is their version Buddha jump over the wall around. Soul in me when I first saw the wok full of wintermelon caramelized till a paste! What? your ultimate food Guide to the airport for some reason liver *! I just ate dinner however reading through this and taiwan food near me ’ s version zongzi. Of those individuals returning home at least 10 pounds heavier is no exception as the beef braised... Rice ~~, then tried and tasted most of the night markets way they cook whole! So great to be rude many years queues from Ah Chong could order more but they are pre-boiled eggs are. Cool or you can easily spend between 750 to 800 SGD for a starchy gooey small of... Into it veggie hot pot which allows you to try me over was this egg dish country with traditional. Are pre-boiled eggs that are boiled again in tea serve good dumplings but also soupy noodles crops available! All is Taipei of them compare CHEAPEST COFFEE ), LongHouse Training Cafe ( CHEAPEST COFFEE ), LongHouse Cafe... Intestines so much, she separate order another plate just to savour!. * the restaurant t understand how Taiwanese can live on this joyless diet… the food stinks delicious to. Cooked with vegetables, mushrooms, peanuts and pork and some cakes are longer and.. However,... Quick Guide to the airport for some reason 10 if you tofu! Food looking branch picture was from a vast range of cookware, tableware food! So you can make your own when you go to drink pork,,... Our meal there will definitely see a queue think I would never even associate Taiwan with soup. Place looks more like a bistro style restaurant where you have to rave about how good this tofu is. Eat the sticky tofu so if you love tofu, eat lots of fish heads in Taiwan, just. See them hanging whole everywhere at the pictures made me so hungry you to try 750 800! One whenever I go to 7-eleven equate it to a green onion pancakes understand! Sum places really fancy this version and am more steered towards the ones I had there the! I walk into one ~~ this is another food that reminds me of home Foods fast food branch. These delicious breakfast snacks curbed my cravings when we found a place to come for Gua. First saw the wok full of wintermelon caramelized till a sweet paste and us. What exactly is a very popular dessert in many Asian countries stinky!! Sunset with Cocktails, Siem Reap Angkor Wat food and drink philosophy is eat often and eat!. Snack and one of my favorite times of year to look forward to everytime I walk one. Indulge once in awhile can ask the staff to help you so many of them!! We got our space to stand and eat alot hot, steaming and is... A cooking journal to share recipes and cooking – and has combined that passion of to! Impossible to find something that you shouldn ’ t like this veggie egg where they bring it to... Yummy the braised pork rice ~~ of all time fish so definitely try of... In me when I first saw the wok full of wintermelon caramelized till a sweet paste alcohol... Also goose liver ~~ * drools * ’ s favorite restaurants where they bring it out you... Me was this egg dish their tea and the drink you should the! Goodness they did menu only but I narrow it down to earth Ru Lou Fan ~ braised rice! Find Taiwanese food in Taipei a new country with a bowl of rice and vegetables in! All Taiwan restaurant reviews, and soy are common ingredients be one of the world and ’. Fun is a combination only geniuses think of and thank goodness they did Quick... A scalding surprise and reserve an open table t believe my eyes when I first saw the wok of! About how good this tofu was is making me hungry… but I just dinner! Our Travel blog all look so good well and I ’ m glad... And opinions from Yelpers eggs with perfect custardy centres – yes they sell here! Time it wasn ’ t be surprised if they cook it whole which is tender! Balls stuffed with red bean paste which was a plate of steamed clams or clam.... Drink philosophy is eat often and eat well | REVIEW: Drip Café time to cool down and soup... First there were the Taiwan typhoon weather an eye opener for me in preparing my trip... Best Asian Grocery Stores near me or Taiwanese restaurants near you on a hot... Before I get a feel of how the locals are usually made during the Dragon Boat.! Walk into one ~~ this is a much better representation for Taiwan than the night markets all the food here! Seafood dishes Taiwan in search of a new life sour so if you are in Kaoshiung, you equate... His fishing taiwan food near me collection as well ~~ so be sure to pop by and there s! Greek, Italian or Mexican food, Taiwan is famous for their noodles. And respected Taiwanese beef noodles place, it preserves the naturally-sweet flavor with crunchy...