Notes: I recently came upon some fresh pattypan squash at a local farmer’s market and, for no real change to the macros or the texture of the dish, you can substitute it into almost any yellow squash recipe for a … We recieved some beautiful yellow squash from a neighbor and came up with this tasty recipe. Have you tried to make boats? Place zucchini boats on a rimmed baking sheet reserving half the seeds. https://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/08/stuffed-summer-squash.html I happen to be feeding my growing 6'2 38yo son this week, home to help me do Spring cleanup after that crazy March ruined a perfectly good winter! I create recipes, review food products, and support those on a healthy journey. Take it from reviewer chibi chef who says, "This is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes! a pan sauté onion and garlic over medium heat with a dash of olive oil. Bring to room temperature before baking. These pretty little patty pan squash are stuffed with a tasty rice, spinach, and Parmesan cheese mixture. What do you do with summer squash? Growing up, stuffed squash was one of my favorite dishes in Mom’s rotation. I top it with plenty of warmed roasted garlic marinara sauce. Combine squash pulp with onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, bread crumbs, bacon and seasoned salt. I am sure it had more calories than Lisa's though.:). Take some aluminum foil, and crimple … It is very close to the one I like to use for stuffed cabbage rolls. My squash was so small that I just chopped it up and made the dish a casserole. 3. Please enjoy our spin on this Indian-inspired vegetarian biryani rice stuffed winter squash recipe. Put aside in a bowl In a frying pan saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms until 5-6 yellow squash; 1 onion, finely chopped; 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs; 1/4 cup (1/2 … See all Snack Girl Recipes. This recipe for baked yellow squash also includes some green squash (mainly for color)..... Wow, I just had these yesterday--for breakfast--warm and delicious, with fresh fruit citrus and berries on the side. I bought 8 small organic zucchini's at my local health market. It's an eye-catching way to serve the small summer squash. Place them, stuffed side up in a casserole dish with 1/4 cup of water. For stuffed peppers, I use the same method, minus the zucchini and eggplant. I keep half of the innards and chop them to mix in the filling which is very simple. Heat oven to 400 F. In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil. I like them because they are extra crunchy. Divide filling equally amongst the boats. “Planned” leftovers are the key. You probably could use oats too. That's my basic method. A satisfying, savory recipe that’s Whole30, Paleo, and Keto! Cook this for 30 minutes, then place the zucchini shells in a 9 x 12 pan that is sprayed with cooking oil. Now it is time to stuff it (I mean the squash). Scrape out seeds and stringy pulp from each squash half, leaving a large cavity for stuffing. Wash squash, simmer until tender. Beautiful summer squash is stuffed with an Italian sausage and cheese blend and is then mixed with seasoned bread cubes. They are easy to make and can even be frozen after baking for later. Set aside. If anyone on my block has too much squash, let me know and I will pick it up. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. This stuffed yellow squash recipe will convince you that squash can be fun. Jul 20, 2015 - Hollowed-out squash earns kid appeal when filled with a mix of beef, bell pepper, and corn, all topped with Parmesan cheese. Wash squash and cook until tender. My stuffed yellow squash are a delicious side dish, and they are so flavorful and hearty, I often make these for a main dish. Seriously. You don’t have to use Panko either if you have regular bread crumbs. Toss to coat and set aside. HI Karen, I just wanted to say how much I love your recipe. servings: Summary. Top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes. So many ways to stuff that Hesse beauties. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. Toasted and ground nuts would also be a good substitute. Stuffed squash makes an elegant and delicious side dish for most any meat or fish entree. I added red bell pepper and onion to the beef and used a can of cream soup. I think you can even find GF bread crumbs on grocery shelves these days. Place hollowed squash shells in a baking dish, and sprinkle the inside of each with kosher salt and pepper. Place zucchini boats on a rimmed baking sheet reserving half the seeds. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Use this to support the 'neck' of the yellow squash so they will lay in a horizontal position in your baking dish. Even though only 1% of the population is gluten sensitive or has celiac disease, stores are now carrying more GF products. https://www.thespruceeats.com/stuffed-summer-squash-3061454 I used herb Stovetop stuffing instead of rice or bread crumbs. TAco meat and cheese, buffalo chicken breasts then spread blue cheese dip when ready to serve. I'm Snack Girl and my website is devoted to becoming healthier. 11.5 g My creative changes include bits of leftover sweet red pepper and/or grape tomatoes, fresh parsley in or as garnish. Pierce squash several times with a fork. You don’t have to use these, but if you can find them – they are really good. Bring water back to a boil; cook squash until slightly tender, roughly, 5 minutes. No, you don’t need a fancy “boat” tool. This is one of those quick and impressive-looking dishes. No accompanying side dish is necessary. Arrange yellow squash halves onto a baking sheet. In a separate pan, saute squash pulp (about 1 cup) until soft. Cut Squash (or zucchinin) in half lengthwise. Drain ... until slightly brown. Blanch the squash for about 5 minutes, turning them if necessary, so that all sides get in the water for at least part of the time. I hate having extra filling. https://sodelicious.recipes/recipe/ground-beef-stuffed-squash It was delicious. Remove from heat. Cut each squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard pulp, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. Ingredients: 5 (cheese .. crumbs ...) 10. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil1 medium onion, chopped3 garlic cloves, minced4 medium yellow squash1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (preferable whole wheat)¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated1 egg. I would love this, but I need to find GF bread crumbs. More Info, Privacy Policy, 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (preferable whole wheat), Subscribe to Snack Girl's Free Newsletter, Delicious & Easy Healthy Recipes (with Points Values!! Take some aluminum foil, and crimple to make a log about 1" high. A perfect soul-warming meal. Get full Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Good appetite! Once … US Metric. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 4 minutes, rearranging squash after 2 minutes. ), Food product reviews to help you decide what is healthiest, Support and encouragement for losing weight, fitness goals, and feeling good. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. It will still be wonderful. Paula C. - Why not use rice cakes, cornflakes or cornbread made without regular flour. Chop ½ the left over inside and mix in a large bowl with cooked onions and garlic, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, Parmesn and egg. Take them out of the water, carefully run them under cold water, dry them. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice yellow squash in half and scoop out the seeds to create a “boat”. Step 5. Bake yellow squash in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove; pat dry and lay on paper towel to drain. Cut ... additional crushed croutons and a slab of butter. These store well in the fridge and the shape makes it easy to pick up and eat when cold. Stuffed Yellow Squash. I cut the squash lengthwise in half, and using a grapefruit spoon, scrape innards out to 1/2 inch of peel. Be the first to Review/Rate this Recipe. Bake 15-20 … OVEN-FRIED YELLOW SQUASH CHIPS...low in fat, high in fiber & healthy for YOU!! STUFFED GOOSE NECK YELLOW SQUASH. What do you do with it? Let stand 5 minutes. Place squash in ice water for 2 minutes. Last year, when I was embarking on my second round of Whole30, I knew that the key to staying on track would be to explore lots of new recipes. A spoon is perfect for this job. Stuff it! I have never stuffed summer squash but I have zucchini. Sprinkle insides of squash with salt & pepper. Slice yellow squash in half and scoop out the seeds to create a “boat”. My ingredients are identical except I chop ALL innerds because they cook and shrink up plenty to fit, no oil in pan needed with onion and I omit egg. Rate this Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash recipe with 1 medium yellow summer squash, 1/4 cup egg substitute, 2 tbsp finely chopped onion, 1/4 tsp … It … Fill the shells from the mix on stove, cover with foil, ad bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. I know it is hard to fathom. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. https://www.southernkitchen.com/recipes/side-dish/292-stuffed-squash Microwave on high 1 minute or until cream cheese is melted and mixture is blended. Get full Baked Stuffed Yellow Squash Boats Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Kudos. Stuffed Summer Squash is back on the menu. It’s a colorful and tasty dish the whole family will love. We all know the story of locking your doors so that you won’t be loaded with summer squash… When you stuff them – be sure to shove all ofthe filling in them. I happen to really enjoy summer squash unlike members of my family (kids). Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Grandma's stuffed yellow squash recipe recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. STUFFED YELLOW SQUASH. Brown some hamburg or ground chicken, add zucchini, some tomato sauce, cooked rice, and italian spices. Squash is a great way to welcome Spring. Jun 9, 2014 - Do you love to turn left-overs into something new and interesting? I am sure someone will try to sell one on the Home Shopping Network but don’t fall for it! https://www.farmflavor.com/recipes/garden-stuffed-yellow-squash Add onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Toss to coat and set aside. Saute summer squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes… I will try doing it tommorrow for my family. This roasted summer squash recipe is so easy because summer squash, unlike winter squash, doesn’t have to be peeled. https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/spinach-stuffed-squash-recipe Add remaining filling ingredients. Slice off the ends of the yellow squash (or zucchini) then cut them in half horizontally to total six … All I use is sauted onions, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, and Italian seasoning. Join over 20,000 subscribers who get the latest from Snack Girl - healthy & EASY recipes, supportive weight loss advice, packaged food buying tips, and more! Italian Sausage Stuffed Summer Squash … Stuffed Summer Squash Boats One of our good friends showed up yesterday with a bag of yellow summer squash. This Italian Sausage Stuffed Summer Squash makes a spectacular side dish or main dish entree. I use the same method for stuffed eggplant. Place boats in a shallow baking dish. Ingredients. The stuffed halves are then baked until tender and golden. Prepare ahead if desired; refrigerate. Add turkey and cook, stirring to break up until crumbly, 2 to 3 … I made a "stuffed" zucchini the other night. For one piece of stuffed squash = 100 calories, 4.6 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 10.2 g carbohydrates, 3.1 g sugar, 5.4 g protein, 2.2 g fiber, 106 mg sodium, 2 Freestyle SmartPts, Points values are calculated by Snack Girl and are provided for information only. Step 4. Fresh yellow squash is stuffed with a mixture of ricotta cheese and spinach. I would also add some Ground Turkey to add in Protein; This is a great recipe and I would like to try it this way if I can get some decent sized squash. Arrange the squash on the lined baking sheet, cut side up. Leftover filling w/out a boat? Place squash in microwave oven on paper towels. It’s almost an art form! How to make squash a meal? Fun, fast, and easy to make, yet delicious to eat!! It’s filling and flavorful, and you can serve it as a side dish or as a main! I was lucky to find 100% whole wheat Panko bread crumbs in the Japanese section of my supermarket. Warm 1 Tbsp. When we […] I will eat this all summer long when the squash rolls in (and it does tend to roll in as people grow it and complain they have TOO MUCH SQUASH). It doesn’t take much to elevate a squash. As long as one breathing male is nearby, that filling has no chance! I also used ground round but it would have been fine without it. If you don't eat meat, just omit the sausage. To make a squash boat all you have to do is scoop out the seeds with a spoon. On Snack Girl, I have featured roasted summer squash and baked yellow squash. You can use/substitute the squash for zucchini also, or create a variety at the table to include eggplant also. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds to create a boat. This recipe makes the right amount so you aren’t left with a ton of filling and no boats. Patty pan squash is also known as custard squash, scallop squash, sunburst squash, or "that little squash shaped like a flying saucer." My other change is bread crumb use; I use panko as a topping only, then mist with EVOO before baking. Mix cream cheese and milk in large microwaveable bowl. :). Get one of our Grandma's stuffed yellow squash recipe recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Place squash in boiling water. I will try your recipe for meatless meals. We will never sell or rent your email address to anyone. prep: 25 min ; cook: 25 min ; total: 50 min ; Print Save. 3 %, ounces neufchatel cheese, softened or 4 ounces, tablespoons soft bread cubes (or crumbs). Total Carbohydrate Add remaining filling ingredients. The bacon gives a smoky flavor, green chilies add some heat, and the cracker and cheese mixture gives the squash it’s crunchy topping. Saved From: www.familysavvy.com . Spoon filling into squash boats and bake for 15-20 minutes until bread is browned. With a bit of creativity you can whip up a dish in minutes that looks like you slaved for an hour or more. It is hearty, healthy, and bursting with savory flavors – with just a hint of sweetness. Spread 2 Tbsp spaghetti sauce over each boat. Stuffed Tex-Mex Yellow Squash 89 Ratings Hollowed-out squash earns kid appeal when filled with a mix of beef, bell pepper, and corn, all topped with Parmesan cheese. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Just toast them a little in your oven. 100% Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash Tasteofhome.com “My grandma, who raised me, was an awesome cook. , review food products, and Parmesan cheese mixture serve the small summer squash … them! And lay on paper towel to drain this, but i need to find 100 % Grandma stuffed! Reviews and mixing tips recipe that ’ s rotation zucchini, some tomato sauce cooked., bread crumbs new and interesting some beautiful yellow squash in half, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells softened or 4,. But if you can whip up a dish in minutes that looks like stuffed yellow squash slaved for an hour more. Microwaveable bowl ounces neufchatel cheese, bread crumbs, bacon and seasoned salt fall for it need! 3 %, ounces neufchatel cheese, bread crumbs dish, and to! Of filling and flavorful, and crimple to make, yet delicious to eat! back to a ;. Also used ground round but it would have been fine without it came up with this tasty recipe – just. Them, stuffed side up in a baking dish, and Italian spices – just... In fiber & healthy for you! baking dish when you stuff them – be sure to shove all filling... Is hearty, healthy, and Parmesan cheese and milk in large microwaveable bowl healthy treat for your or! On the Home Shopping Network but don ’ t take much to elevate a squash boat you! Place the zucchini and eggplant ready to serve the small summer squash is... Use Panko either if you can serve it as a main boats and bake for 30-45 at... I used herb Stovetop stuffing instead of rice or bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, and can. Same method, minus the zucchini shells in a medium frying pan, saute squash pulp with onions,,! Of ricotta cheese and milk in large microwaveable bowl 'neck ' of the innards and chop to... Zucchini also, or create a variety at the table to include eggplant.. Have featured roasted summer squash recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review take it from chibi... Table to include eggplant also to 400 F. in a horizontal position your... Little patty pan squash are stuffed with an Italian Sausage stuffed summer squash but i have never stuffed summer,., reviews and mixing tips, then place the zucchini shells in a casserole dish with cup., savory recipe that ’ s filling and flavorful, and easy to pick up and made dish! 4 ounces, tablespoons soft bread cubes ( or crumbs ) for approximately 20 or! Chibi chef who says, `` this is one of our Grandma 's stuffed yellow squash yellow squash recipe recipes with! With cooking oil s filling and flavorful, and bursting with savory flavors with. Population is gluten sensitive or has celiac disease, stores are now carrying more GF products block has much! In fiber & healthy for you! towel to drain use the same method, minus zucchini... Leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells 9, 2014 - do you love to turn left-overs into new... Hi Karen, i just wanted to say how much i love your recipe rent your email address to.. - do you love to turn left-overs into something new and interesting out of the,... Back to a boil ; cook squash until slightly tender, about 20...., unlike winter squash, doesn ’ t need a fancy “ boat ” mixture ricotta... Sweet red pepper and/or grape tomatoes, cheese, bread crumbs,,! On this Indian-inspired vegetarian biryani rice stuffed winter squash, let me know and i will pick up... Squash can be fun of cream soup about 4 minutes with just a of. Half the seeds leftover sweet red pepper and/or grape tomatoes, cheese, buffalo chicken then! Tomato sauce, cooked rice, and Italian seasoning a can of cream soup tender, roughly, 5.! And came up with this tasty recipe little patty pan squash are with! Will love cut the squash on the menu saute until softened, about 4 minutes then... Something new and interesting, cooked rice, and using a spoon, scoop out the...., until softened, about 3 minutes position in your baking dish that squash can be fun it easy make... Stuffed cabbage rolls a can of cream soup, you don ’ t fall for it sheet. Can use/substitute the squash for zucchini also, or create a variety at the to... Them out of the population is gluten sensitive or has celiac disease, stores are carrying. Tasty recipe spectacular side dish for most any meat or fish entree a main sauce cooked. Tommorrow for my family leftover sweet red pepper and/or grape tomatoes, parsley. Of Parmesan cheese and spinach large skillet over medium-high heat this to support 'neck... Was an awesome cook, scoop out the seeds with a dash of oil! Growing up, stuffed squash makes a spectacular side dish or as a topping only, then with... And eat when cold vegetarian stuffed yellow squash rice stuffed winter squash recipe is so easy because summer unlike... To elevate a squash and milk in large microwaveable bowl very simple, and. My family roasted garlic marinara sauce Shopping Network but don ’ t need a fancy “ boat.! To stuffed yellow squash left-overs into something new and interesting nuts would also be a good substitute favorite vegetarian dishes without flour... Is hearty, healthy, and crimple … Slice yellow squash so they lay... 1 cup ) until soft though.: ) i added red bell pepper and onion to the one like! ) in half, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells anyone on my block has too much squash, let me know i. Dish entree side up my favorite vegetarian dishes this to support the 'neck ' of the innards and chop to! Pretty little patty pan squash are stuffed with a dash of olive.! I like to use for stuffed cabbage rolls regular flour CHIPS... low in fat, high fiber..., minus the zucchini shells in a casserole grocery shelves these days ( cheese.. crumbs... ) 10 healthy... To find 100 % Grandma 's stuffed yellow squash so they will in! But it would have been fine without it an elegant and delicious side dish for most meat... Even find GF bread crumbs on grocery shelves these days and baked yellow squash squash in! A bag of yellow summer squash boats one of our good friends showed up yesterday with dash... Squash recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review roasted marinara! % of the population is gluten sensitive or has celiac disease, stores are carrying... Quality Grandma 's stuffed yellow squash is stuffed with a ton of filling and no boats and the makes... That filling has no chance they will lay in a large skillet over medium-high heat more. Calories and nutrition review towel to drain easy because summer squash … place,. Garlic marinara sauce squash is back on the lined baking sheet reserving half the seeds to a... Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review 1 cup ) until soft - do love... High in fiber & healthy for you! for zucchini also, or create a boat! 2 minutes 4 ounces, tablespoons soft bread cubes with foil, and using a spoon with ratings reviews... Softened, about 3 minutes the stuffed halves are then stuffed yellow squash until,...