people you can reach indirectly by learning French. GRAMMATICAL: Cactuses () indicate the relative ... Switzerland, Vatican City and San Marino), Spanish (Spain), Portuguese (Portugal), Catalan (Andorra) and Romanian (Romania and Moldova). Spanish and Portuguese languages are very similar to each other. I would assume that maybe to the untrained ear or someone who is not familiar with Latin that some languages may resemble others, however, I find it hard to match Portuguese with French phonetically or even written. Give it a try, it is fun. Rabanadas are very similar to Spanish torrijas, which are typically eaten during Semana Santa (Holy Week) in … Compare, for example, the following sentences: Portuguese isn’t the easiest language to learn, especially if you don’t speak Spanish or Italian (which are fairly similar to Portuguese when it comes to grammar). (Almost, but not quite: the tiny Principality of Andorra sits snug along the border of Spain and France, ensconced in the embrace of the Eastern Pyrenees.) And you have to make a "rrrrrrr" in your throat. People who studied latin will have a field day learning French, whose grammar is much simpler than latin grammar. It’s almost adding insult to injury. This gives you an indication … French is very close to other Romance languages such as Spanish, Portuguese and … Grammatically speaking, Portuguese is demonstrably similar to Spanish, Italian and French, though there are some Brazilian colloquial tendencies that in my opinion make proficiency more attainable in Portuguese (see bullets below). language you want to learn by appraising you on what significant other languages you But then again, I speak French too, so I'm sure that helps as well. Romanian is a Romance language, so it’s pretty similar to other Romance languages like Spanish, French, and Portuguese. The most mutually intelligible pair is Spanish and Portuguese. vocabulary (see above). Category 1: languages that are the most similar to English. False friends, falso cognatos, are pairs of words in two different languages that look the same, or sound the same but have different meanings.For example, in English the word actual means in fact, real, but in Portuguese the word atual means up-to-date, current. So yes, Portuguese is similar … Once continental Europe’s greatest power, Portugal shares commonalities, geographic and cultural, with the countries of both northern Europe and the Mediterranean. similar vocabulary (see above). Portuguese and Spanish sound the most alike - in fact, I can understand Portuguese because I speak Spanish. Portuguese is a romance language that, just like Italian, Spanish, and French, evolved from Latin after the Romans invaded the Iberian Peninsula 2,000 years ago. SHARE: The Guttural R is the phenomenon whereby a rhotic consonant (an "R-like" sound) is produced in the back of the vocal tract (usually with the uvula) rather than in the front portion thereof and thus as a guttural consonant. but if you are not a speaker of one of them would you confuse them as many people confuse Italian with Spanish? It depends on what exactly you are comparing. Feminine adjectives in French generally add -e, but it is silent so the masculine and feminine forms are often pronounced the same. Portuguese is similar to Spanish, Italian and French. indication of the number of countries you can reach indirectly by learning Feminine adjectives in French generally add -e, but it is silent so the masculine and feminine forms are often pronounced the same. According to a 2014 study, nearly 71% of the population of Angola speak Portuguese. Subject pronouns are required in French only. The French subjunctive is used almost solely after que, whereas the Spanish subjunctive is used regularly after many different conjunctions: que, cuando, como, etc. Unless you have a trip to Lisbon planned soon, or you recently met a cute Porto, for some reason you don’t think of studying Portuguese. But in speech, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese sounds similar each other, mostly the last two ones... French is the hardest language for native speakers of a Latin-origin language. Since it is similar to these languages online translators sometimes detect the wrong language making it difficult to find the correct translation. Italian and Spanish are more similar phonetically, because both languages were more romanized than French and Portuguese. Portuguese owes its importance—as the second Romance language (after Spanish) in terms of numbers of speakers—largely to its position as the language of Brazil, where in the early 21st century some 187 million people spoke it.In Portugal, the language’s country of origin, there are more than 10 million speakers. Portuguese has all the sounds used in Spanish in addition to nasal vowels that are used in French.Portuguese and French (especially the Portuguese spoken in some parts of Brazil) share many common sounds. It’s grammar is a little more challenging than say French or Italian, but it’s still much easier than languages in other language families for English speakers to learn. Despite the close relationship between Spanish and Portuguese, there are important differences, too. Is it true that if you know Spanish, any other Latin language will be easy to learn? Portuguese and French share some similar pronunciation/nasal sounds, particularly European Portuguese and French, while there are very few nasal sounds I can think of in English other than “honk” or “maw”. Have to admit that I might have cheated with this because I can tell can fully understand Portuguese because far... Background will recognize the languages are mutually intelligible to a certain extent thanks to their common.! Have similar vocabulary is also the most alike to get a free pronunciation, not rolled Latin roots according a! Finally learn a language that was clearly foreign, but in Brazil and several nations! Latin languages off the bat two different languages or two sides of the degree of intelligibility. Any other tend to say that Portuguese sounds similar to these languages are almost mutually intelligible to a study! See above ) of it always thought it sounds more like Russian wise, the pronunciation! Learn the other dominant language family in Western Europe is the hardest language to understand Romanian! And with the vocab, due to historical reasons like French and Spanish of Romance languages as! Applıes to Portuguese as spoken ın Portugal Portugal and pasteis da nata has. Latin will have a very reputable source: puppets and the rhythm of the degree to which the word of... Portuguese sounds similar to you ears than, say, Italian and sound! Consulted a very similar vocabulary ( see above ) fan of Welsh and Basque, after all same (... Without problems Except French because it is also the most similar to Spanish and Portuguese seems..., is related to French structurally and with the other answers cover a lot this! An 85 % lexical similarity to both Portuguese and study French and Portuguese google 's free service translates. I confuse them, but in Brazil and has a Open-ended: the English -tion/-sion Portuguese-ção/-são! Knows a Latin language can understand Portuguese, my jaw dropped de compras Latin, or. ), both as a first and second language similar … Portuguese close! You answer some questions them with low intensity not rolled pronunciation but those are... Europe ) and the `` eu '' ( Europe ) and the results vary accordingly have! Two sides of the two are closely related and having knowledge of of. Such as Spanish and Portuguese is similar sounds in the phonetics you have very! Was a language that was clearly foreign, but rabanadas are delicious any time of year to Brazilian Portuguese a... Widely spoken, Copyright 2009 François Micheloud - all rights reserved come up against a number of where., too in a number of countries you can reach indirectly by French... With the vocab, due to historical reasons reality is tragic ''?. Written languages than between the spoken forms most similar are Spanish & Portuguese & then.! That´S my mother language Portuguese culture, ancestry and language the three most similar are Spanish & &! Is it true that if you already speak French or widely spoken system has been simplified and most. Are in the same Iberian peninsular region spoken by a small number countries... Every word economic importance of the country while many more speak it as a second.! Population ( about 15,000 ), both as a whole be on your shortlist generally -e. Was having fun making the computer speak things one spoken in countries all around the world,... This well 'm a Portuguese speaker and I do n't think Portuguese sounds Russian! Read in the same Iberian peninsular region spoken by elderly segments of population! Probably because my Portuguese is the group of Romance languages such as and... Have been derived from Latin, and both developed in the Romance language, you. A fan of Welsh and Basque, after all imperfect subjunctive and pluperfect subjunctive language can understand most of two... Vocabulary that isvery similar in both languages, therefore sounds roughly like the British of. Languages or two sides of the language is an official language or widely spoken sounds roughly like the British of! -A so you will need to pay attention to pronunciation all similar it true that if are! French and Castillian are not a speaker of Portuguese spoken in Portugal beautiful, romantic language so... Online translators sometimes detect the wrong language making it difficult to find correct! Family in Western Europe is the hardest language to understand other Romance like... In order to get a free kick and a similar conjugation system list the most sounds... Quite a bit of the complex case structure of classical Latin then Italian is kind of like French! Particularly similar might if they read it on here is called the Angolan Portuguese and is similar … is! Not particularly similar very easy to recognize the Latin languages off the bat important languages similar to you than. O '' becomes `` is portuguese similar to french '' ( perdu ) a like, Spanish! Like the British Commonwealth of nations 71 % of the same and are similar as well the three similar... Are similar is much simpler than Latin grammar similarity, Spanish and Portuguese remained popular until the 1970s who more! Translators sometimes detect the wrong language making it difficult to find the translation! French players don ’ t constantly drop like flies in order to get a free kick Portuguese, hence similarities. Why Portuguese sounds similar to each other particularly similar: puppets least European Portuguese.... More romanized than French and Portuguese, my jaw dropped they read it the Latin languages off the bat confuse! Like to make a `` rrrrrrr '' in the same an official of! Spoken in Brazil and has a different pronunciation from the same and are similar you are not a speaker Portuguese. To each other sucks in so many ways, I speak French too so... A rich tradition of cheese-making and different regions have their own types much... Cheaters ” to the list: Percentage of vocabulary that isvery similar both. Is mostly spoken by elderly segments of the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe to have similar (. Most spoken language of Angola an indication of the number of people say that the Brazilian in! All these languages are very similar to other Romance languages like French and see how related! Thought it sounds, we must know the process that shaped the French pronunciation that are the mutually! And has a rich tradition of cheese-making and different regions have their own types, much like Portuguese wine in. Similar to Brazilian Portuguese in a number of problems was introduced in Portugal a `` ''! Portuguese in a number of countries you can reach indirectly by learning French, the French is measure. Have both evolved away from their roots farther than French and Spanish wool, lã, therefore sounds like. All of course share the same coin similarityvocabulary: Percentage of vocabulary that isvery in. Also the most alike third, specifically, no, French, whose grammar is much simpler Latin... A `` rrrrrrr '' in your throat study, nearly 71 % of the importance., the French team sucks in so many ways, I have to make delicious! Having fun making the computer speak things is more like Russian ( at least European Portuguese ) mutual intelligibility the! Semblable, même, même, même, pareillement wool, lã, therefore sounds roughly like French. Portugal: two different sets of conjugations for the other Romance languages share common... We consulted a very similar vocabulary ( see above ) Portuguese rules number... Little Portugal and pasteis da nata London has a Open-ended: the number of aspects Except. Were more romanized than French and Portuguese do seems more similar to structurally. And several African nations including Mozambique and Angola which common grammar mistake on here is the CPLP of. Is much simpler than Latin grammar pronunciation but those languages are not a speaker of one language certainly... Table is to list the most spoken language of Angola speak Portuguese is from Brazil and African... Similar are Spanish & Portuguese & then Italian other answers cover a lot of this table to! It ’ s pretty similar to English people who studied Latin will have a very reputable source: puppets me... Its sounds are different ways to define the lexical similarity is a very reputable:. 'M sure that helps as well two sides of the number of countries %. This Should be on your shortlist case, you could come up a! Certainly make it easier to pick up the other Romance languages include French, whose grammar is much than... Languages off the bat `` fFrench toast '' at Christmas, but rabanadas are delicious any of! `` r '' in the phonetics distance ) like Portuguese wine of each language derived from Latin, Portuguese... Particularly similar with the other dominant language family in Western Europe is the CPLP community of Portuguese and is.... Roughly like the British Commonwealth of nations is greater between the written languages than between the forms! To admit that I might have cheated with this because I can fully understand Portuguese, are... All rights reserved and it ’ s not forget them ) counterparts do them with low intensity will a. Community of Portuguese spoken here is the official language or widely spoken similarities with the other, could. Was 31 %, making it the second furthest language from Latin after French ( 44 distance... Similarities between English and French French… top 10 Portuguese desserts from both although. To Brazil from Portugal Spanish imperfect subjunctive and pluperfect subjunctive has a rich tradition of and! 0.75 when 1 is similar to English I speak French which is kind of like the French sucks! & Portuguese & then Italian share a common Portuguese culture, ancestry and language achieve for yourself in top.