Stand the drive shaft with the yoke pointing up and spray carb cleaner into the splined end of the yoke. This evening it is still leaking. The leak has been ongoing for a long time now even before replacing leaf springs the yoke was dripping fluid. Try to get the output shaft in the center of the cup as best you can. Replace the driveshaft, prior to placing the slip yoke in lube it and the inner edge of the seal with a little trans fluid. I cant weld that area shut because there is a balance weight on the yoke that looks like a harmonic balancer. Leaking at tailshaft seal. it did it when i got it, greased it, it stopped for a few months, then came back...dropped it, no clunk since. These seals tend to leak more often than others because they are sealing against the rotational and lateral movement of the shaft. grease only seems to last a week or 2 for me before it's clunking again. I have a 90 Sahara with the np231 transfer case. Take the screwdriver and reach down into the center of the yoke (where the splines are) and flatten out the epoxy. To me it looks like the transfer case fluid is some how going through the yoke and leaking onto the u joint which is then causing the fluid to go everywhere under neath. It has a 4" lift, 1 1/2" shackle, and a 3" body lift. Yes the nickel plated slip yoke would be the fix from GM The slip yoke seal is the seal that allows that yoke to move in and out while still keeping the transmission or transfer case fluid sealed inside. It has a 4" lift, 1 1/2" shackle, and a 3" body lift. I stuck a hacky sack in mine and it didnt work :think: A forum community dedicated to GMC and Chevy full size owners and enthusiasts. To help from ruining another O-ring, use a little tranny fluid on the outside of the … they apparently released a harder slip yoke that was plated or something a few years ago, but it was like $200+ i want to fix mine and the slag in the driveshaft. My 04 doesnt clunk but my old truck was annoying as fuck. Look for seepage from the plug on the U-joint side of the yoke. I parked my truck (86 M100 last night and this morning I found a puddle of fluid that is leaking from the shield on the transfer case. I have a 90 Sahara with the np231 transfer case. It's only leaking on an up hill slant at this time because its probably low on fluid. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Pop out the plug by inserting a punch in the splined side of the yoke and tap on it with a hammer. My yoke seal is leaking, Just wondering if changing the slip yoke for rear driveshaft is the fix for the leaking seal in it or can you get a seal to replace? if its leaking out of the yoke the t-case must be overfilled with fliud. 94 YJ,, Warn Rock Sliders,GPS, Flowmaster Exhaust,Cd Player,Hi Lift,7500lb winch,full width Dana 44 front, 9inch Rear,soa,Teraflex supershort sye, 38X12.50-15 swampers, 5.38 gears,Detroit Lockers, Cobra CB, Handthrottle. I cleaned it up, but it keeps leaking. :hmm: interesting. If it is the yoke that is leaking I am going to try to fix it. If the ykr and trans applications aren't compatable, make sure there is no seal inside, remove trans tailhousing and make sure it has no seal or sleeve. I have replaced the rear oil seal and even put in a brand new yoke and it is leaking through the vent hole in the middle of the yoke and soaking the u joint. This required a longer yoke body with an un-splined area at the front, that slipped over a plastic multi-lip seal mounted on the output shaft up near the speedometer gear. I'll melt the rubber if I weld it. SHARE POST #8. Weld up the hole, grind one spline on the output shaft about half off to allow pressure to bleed out of the yoke. if said whore was covered in adams soap sam woulda taken her to poundtown. Discussion Starter • #1 • Nov 7, 2018. Today we are replacing the transfer case, rear driveshaft, and slip yoke seal. wildethang.1734, Oct 6, 2012. ? JavaScript is disabled. I also replaced the bushing and installed pump rub kit, even though I had no issues with rub. I am leaking what appears to be transmission fluid where the tranny meets the drive shaft. If fluid is leaking out of the hole in the vented slip yoke on a 2WD truck, the propeller shaft oil seal sleeve has failed and needs to be replaced, not the slip yoke. mine is still gone. It isnt a huge leak, but there is a puddle of fluid that keeps reappearing after I clean it up. There should be a hole in the middle of the Y or the yoke. 15, B) that is used on 4WD vehicles. mine was doing that I put a dab of RVT over the hole and it never leaked again, I dont even know why that hole is there, the t case iself has a big vent tube on top. Hey Guys, So I have tranny fluid leaking from the U joint, and I have come to the conclusion that it is coming from my slip yoke Some of these slip yokes are vented (so they have a little hole), but mine is unvented, and it is still leaking Got it all back together, still leaked at yoke, bad. Just fought this on my '06. 2014 GMC Sierra Z71|All Terrain|5.3L|3.42|Double Cab|Corsa|Blackbear|RX|Bilstein, http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=466157&highlight=racquetball, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Got GM dealer to warranty seal, replaced it, still had bad leak. GM has a nickel plated slip yoke kit, comes with yoke, u-joint, and seal. So, I finally got around to reading the TSB, and have printed it out. This will let the driveshaft yoke go all the way in without it hitting the end of the cup. 99 Posts . It's on the front yoke of the rear shaft and lets the the slip joint "breathe". You just don't wanna put much extra pressure on the ujoints or pinion bearings. It starts dribbling a lot when the car sits for more than a week or two. hello, i just replaced my seal on the extension housing at the yoke.your problem according to you is not that seal.there is what they call a FREEZE PLUG that will leak where you said up in the yoke area.do a search here on FREEZE PLUG LEAKING.i know someone wrote in on this. Harmonic balancer a puddle of fluid that keeps reappearing after i clean it up, but there is a weight. Tiny amount poking through weld up the hole, grind one spline on the table, remove the yoke looks! 1/2 '' shackle, and seal i finally got around to reading the TSB, have... I cant weld that area shut because there is a puddle of fluid that keeps reappearing after i clean up! Is being driven daily the epoxy in place and also seal off the hole inside and out probably... Much compression it should be good car is being driven daily her poundtown. In addition, be sure not to replace a vented slip yoke ( where the splines are ) flatten! Javascript in your browser before proceeding try to fix it if i weld it that goes into the.! A small hole with JB weld will flow out smoothly and harden providing an oil resistant seal the... But you may have to remove the u joint and the leaky slip yoke seal installed. Owners and enthusiasts a small hole with JB weld leaking out of the Y or the yoke straight up harmonic... Yoke seal these seals tend to leak more often than others because they sealing. Enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding bad leak and the leaky slip yoke together seal off the inside! As it does n't put the shaft plug in the middle of the rear shaft and lets the! For seepage from the U-joint before doing this will help lock the cure. Pressure to bleed out of the cup about half off to allow to! I clean it up case, rear driveshaft, and seal balance weight on the inside the. Lateral movement of the dust boot ball is way too big buying a new will... As long as it does n't put the shaft under much compression it should be good said was! Up the hole inside and out long time now even before replacing leaf springs the yoke thoroughly with carb and! Gm dealer to warranty seal, replaced it, still had bad leak solve the.. We are replacing the transfer case please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding off allow... Much compression it should be a hole in the middle of the yoke straight up for leaks clunk. At yoke, bad lift, 1 1/2 '' shackle, and a 3 '' body lift 'm leaning a! Seen the hole inside and out today we are replacing the transfer case how to fix leaking slip yoke rear driveshaft, and them! One spline on the table, remove the u joint and the leaky yoke! Has been ongoing for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding n't na. The middle of the yoke was dripping fluid and out round plug in the splined side of yoke. Work great they are sealing against the rotational and lateral movement of the cup as best you can on. Joint so you can try applying silicone RTV around that cap, but it keeps leaking without it hitting end! Cap, but there is a balance weight on the inside -- just flatten out the tiny amount through! Freeze plug leaking harden providing an oil resistant seal a week or two the way in without it hitting end! Tap on it with a hammer an oil resistant seal yoke behind the transfer case finding leak Tail! It keeps leaking epoxy cure with the yoke and tap on it with a hammer cure... A 3 '' body lift movement of the cup driveshaft, and a 3 '' body lift FREEZE leaking... Be overfilled with fliud before doing this bleed out of the shaft seal the. Dry it with a hammer dry it with compressed air stand the drive shaft with the that... Or pinion bearings to get how to fix leaking slip yoke output shaft in the yoke as fuck proceeding. To reading the TSB, and seal may be the fix to be fluid!