At a facility in Tennessee, we’ve seen a 10 point increase in HCAHPS cleanliness scores over a two-year span. For example, at TriHealth hospitals, the practice … This is the order in which we clean patient rooms, using a different microfiber cloth for the five zones and a different mop head for the two floor zones. Patient-centred care actively gives you and your family a say in the decision-making process when planning care and treatment. I cannot say thank you enough for her! Today, however, doctors and their staff must also provide high-quality, efficient service to attract new patients and achieve high patient retention.. Jobs OP, this is a question that all customer service jobs ask in the interview process. You could talk about a time when you calmed an upset customer or went above the expectations of your role to make a customer want to return. Patient experience should also guide your operational systems and processes. What questions did you ask? All we did was put some more thought into our incentives and got more specific. To speed up the process, you can incentivize it. You should give an honest example of doing this. “In the old days, when family members were allowed in for 15 minutes every few hours, we made sure the patients in the unit were pristine and well-sedated. describe in detail a time when you provided exceptional customer service. Do you think it is important to meet the spiritual needs of patients? At one time, providing excellent care was enough to build a successful healthcare practice. Arriving in office. One key trait that patient care technicians must have is empathy. Patient’s families and friends should be included and considered an integral part of the healthcare team. In case you're unaware, many healthcare facilities in the US are becoming hyper-focused on customer service. Example: “In my role at City Hospital in obstetrics and gynecology, I remember a patient who was experiencing pain during pregnancy. We made sure every manager and hourly team member not only knew the system, but knew how to communicate it to the patient so that the patient’s perception was consistent with the level of cleaning we were providing. It shows that the concept can and is working. Review everything with your managers and make sure they have the knowledge, ability, and resources needed to coach their team. 1. Empathy. Best Cities for Jobs 2020 NEW! Here are the facility’s cleanliness and overall hospital scores beginning in 2017—the year before we started the program—through July 2020.The average HCAHPS score in 2017 was 69.6. Behavior change is hard and takes time. But by getting into the nitty gritty details of each department and improving your systems, you’ll deliver a better overall patient experience. Asking the right questions when rounding will give you a better picture of what the patient experience is like at your facility and help keep your team focused on the processes they’ve been trained on. Saint Louis Children's Hospital Describe a time when you provided excellent patient care. 2. When you set out to improve your patient satisfaction scores, you have to remember that ultimately what you’re doing is changing behavior. We’ve taken this approach with our environmental services (EVS) teams and have seen some incredible results. Therefore, examples of excellent customer service involve any time a person employs these interpersonal skills. She provided excellent care and was warm, compassionate, and most importantly listened to my mom and myself. 8. Be Proactive. Full arrest, revived. Physicians are already busy, but with the impending implementation of the Affordable Care Act, they're about to get a whole lot busier. And because they were tied to the types of operational changes we were making, we started seeing widespread improvements across all of our processes and initiatives. Give an example of a time you explained medical terminology to someone who was unfamiliar with any medical terms. As such, Mountain’s patient centered care formula consists of 10 helpful hints: Patient centered care isn’t really a new concept but one that is certainly one area of focus for the Affordable Care Act. So I brought a get well card with me to work that day, and just sat with him, treating him like I did every single patient I had in my care. Tell me about a time you delivered an excellent customer service. 2. share. Asking deliberate, open-ended questions to patients is the best way to find out how your team is performing. How do you prioritize tasks while maintaining excellent patient care? All caregivers should focus on what is best for the patient at all times. Dr. Jack provided excellent care to both my mom as well as to us her family members. Even if they sit through a training, there’s usually not a follow up or verification process in place to ensure that their comprehension and implementation of the training meets the expectation. Request a ProposalTeam Member InquiriesCareer OpportunitiesPress Requests, AviationCommercialGovernmentHealthcareResortsSenior Living, Providing Excellent Patient Care Through Environmental Services, (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank), Providing thought-provoking industry pieces from influential leaders within the support services sector, Reflecting on MLK Day and the Path to Diversity in Senior Living, How Facilities Services Can Help Colleges Increase Student Enrollment, How Your Senior Dining Menu Can Satisfy Every Resident (and Save You Money), 6 Creative Ways To Improve Hand Hygiene Compliance at Your Hospital, 4 Ways Your Nutrition Services Can Attract Seniors During COVID-19, The Importance of Clear, Effective Communication in Healthcare, 4 Reasons Your Hospital Should Have a Patient Sitter Program, Hospital Support Services: The Data Behind Their Impact. We began these patient rounding techniques at the beginning of 2018 at one of the facilities in the Tennessee hospital division. The EVS team is now consistently delivering excellent patient care because their leaders are asking better questions and are tapped into the daily patient experience. So we trained our leaders to get more specific. All caregivers should focus on what is best for the patient at all times. The aim of The King’s Fund’s The Point of Care programme is to improve patients’ experience of care in hospital, and to help staff deliver the sort of care they would like for themselves and their own families. How do you prioritize tasks while maintaining excellent patient care? All team members should be treated and considered as caregivers. Do you feel you are the most important part of the medical (health care team)? They started asking things like, “What did you observe the housekeeper doing when they were in the room?” If the patient said the housekeeper took out the trash, we knew it was likely that the housekeeper didn’t approach the bedside, wipe down the high-touch areas, or discuss with the patient what they were doing and why they were doing it. We wanted our housekeepers to do a better job of communicating with patients and educating them on what they were doing in the room to keep them safe. The patient should be the source of control for their care. Describe a time you provided effective patient or family education. Nevertheless, the patient experience can be improved by making simple changes to the current service delivery model in healthcare organizations. Describe a time you provided effective patient and/or family education. The results of this can be dramatic. Staff RN Interview Saint Louis, MO. We were asking general questions like, “How has the housekeeping been?”, and the patient, more often than not, let us know that housekeeping was “good” and then we thanked them and moved on. How did you intervene to meet the spiritual needs of your patient? If you’re seriously considering becoming a patient care technician, then we offer a short list of traits that you will need on the job each day. • Support (for floor techs and other support staff). Talk about a time you worked in a fast-paced setting. What have you tried that didn’t work? However, when it comes to patient experience, the difference between meeting the basic level of service, and delivering great, or even excellent service can be vast. At the hospital division in Tennessee, we noticed that the questions we were asking when conducting patient rounds weren’t giving us real insight into our performance. Mechanisms like AIDETⓇ (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank) serve as helpful guides for communicating with patients, but quality of care goes far beyond that. total number of members in the first quarter of 2016, Payers Intend to Increase ACA Plans Offered in 2020, AMA Survey: Prior Authorization Hurdles Lead to Adverse Events, ACA Plan Enrollment Declines to 8.5 Million People, Insurers Say Automation is Needed for Operational Efficiency, Serving Rural America: Health Insurers at Work, States Passing Record Number of Laws Controlling Drug Pricing, AMA Report: 6 Ways States Combat Opioid Epidemic, Behavioral Health Linked to 70% Increase in Healthcare Spending, New Study on Lowering Opioid Prescription Challenges. A lot of the talk around providing excellent patient care revolves around soft skills. What are you doing to create patient centered care? Just tell about a time you went above and beyond. That’s nearly a 10 point increase over two and a half years. Describe your experience with a very ill patient who required a lot of your time. The IOM (Institute of Medicine) defines patient-centered care as: “Providing care that is respectful of, and responsive to, individual patient preferences, needs and values, and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisio… It includes listening to, informing and involving patients in their care. Patients should be given all of the facts to enable them to contribute to the healthcare decisions which need to be made. How to answer: Give an example of a time you had to prioritize your tasks quickly. This isn’t necessarily your manager’s fault either. How did you manage this patient’s care while ensuring your other patients were adequately cared for? You offer support and courage as well as medical care. People started working hard to win these awards. This allowed us to apply teach-back methods to verify our managers not only had the correct knowledge, but also had the tools necessary to teach their own teams. Here’s what happened to our cleanliness scores division-wide. I did make sure that he knew that I was there in an official capacity though and that privacy applied. According to Harvard University research, there could be as many as 22.4 million new patients flooding the market once the program is up and running. Customer service is everything. 1. And that takes time. Patient experience should also guide your operational systems and processes. Some of these skills include communication, listening, assertiveness, self-control and positive thinking. When a patient arrives for their appointment, the first things they notice are the … Rather than a video call or webinar, we held large group trainings in person with our managers. What was the patient's response? Unfortunately this isn’t always the case, and assuming it is can damage the quality of patient care you’re providing. Get answers to your biggest company questions on Indeed. Patients should not only be privy … We encourage any and all comments. Why was it effective?I watched a person cough and then turn grey, so I called up a medic Code 3. Patient-centred care is about respecting your individual preferences and diversity. Care should be customized for each patient and each episode or encounter. he required to open an account. So we got more intentional about our training programs. Providing excellent customer service comes from having excellent interpersonal skills. We implemented three steps that focused on process improvement that led to those results: hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(2731727, 'fe1b6125-5d1e-4020-82e3-2b9e1a1345a8', {}); A mistake many hospital administrators make is assuming that their managers are experts in all the right systems and processes. The focus of The Point of Care is on care in acute hospitals. Interview question for Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC.Q: Tell me about a time you provided patient care and thought maybe you could have done something differently? Give an example of a time you had to interact with a hostile patient. Part of what carried our consistent performance here was our implementation of the 5 zone and 2 zone cleaning process. Find 6 answers to 'Describe a specific situation where you provided excellent customer service' from 99 Cents Only Store employees. While working in the automotive industry.y we had this guy who was buying any and everything in the store. Express that you take your patient's concerns seriously, and provide an example that shows you can help them through empathy and problem solving. Our concern is with all health professionals, including support staff, who are involved with patients and families. To provide excellent customer service, health care providers must see their patients as human beings first. If your patient satisfaction scores aren’t where you want them to be, don’t assume what the problem is or that your managers are adequately equipped to handle the challenge. Describe a time a patient or their family was appreciative of your care and treatments. Interview Question. This is akin to getting a patient’s verbatim response on your HCAHPS but in a face-to-face interaction. So we created a communication quality award that was given to housekeepers who did that well. In my opinion a great customer service is like understanding what exactly customer needs,which may not be physical needs but they may be even sometimes very upset about sometime. There should be open dialogue between the patients and the members of the care team. It could be staying late to help a customer or calling multiple stores to find an item for a customer. The results of patient satisfaction surveys impact Medicare reimbursement, so interviewers are on the lookout for candidates who will satisfy patients and families. What went well or what would you have done differently? BHM Healthcare Solutions website:  https://bhmpc.com, Follow us on linkedin:  http://www.linkedin.com/company/bhm-healthcare-solutions, Contact BHM 5601 Mariner St. - Ste 490 Tampa, FL 33609 Phone: (888) 831-1171 Fax: (888) 818-2425 Email: newideas@bhmpc.com. Patient rounding allows you to get real-time feedback about how well your team is carrying out the processes they’ve been trained on. A lot of the talk around providing excellent patient care revolves around soft skills. These three steps—educating for comprehension, high-quality patient rounding, and incentivizing process improvement—requires a hard shift in taking your focus off of results and onto your processes. By putting a little more thought into the incentives and awards you’re offering can give you the extra boost you need to start providing excellent patient care. Talk about a time you worked in a fast-paced setting. Discuss a time when you provided excellent customer service. Sharing helpful tips that are already working makes the patient model seem not quite so scary. Describe a time where you assessed and provided spiritual care for a patient. In a recent post on Healthin30, "When Doctors and Nurses Work Together" I wrote about the team-based approach for caring and treating patients, and it addressed the relationship between nurses, doctors, patients and the importance of a multidisciplinary, team-based approach to patient care. I think as nurses we are lucky to be able to provide care and anyone would … She not only directed her care well but spent time with us explaining what was going on. Patient care should be transparent. Get intentional about your training methods. Excellent Patient Care Experience Service Excellence: Continuous Improvement of the Patient Experience We deliver exceptional care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs and values. I made sure they were taken care of." Mountain States Healthcare Alliance has created a formula which is working very well in achieving their goal of providing excellent patient centered care, according to the Becker Report. Mechanisms like AIDET Ⓡ (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank) serve as helpful guides for communicating with patients, but quality of care goes far beyond that. We came up with four quarterly awards for hourly team members that were directly related to the operational improvements we were making. Just make sure you end the example with the customer being very happy with the service you provided. There should be honest 2-way dialogue between the patient and the care givers. Describe a specific situation where you provided excellent customer service. Example #9 "I provided excellent customer service when working as a/an (X position title) for (X company). Explain your thought process in detail and … Giving awards out for results is powerful, but tying them to your processes helps your team start doing the things you want to change operationally. What do you think will happen to patient centered care after the election? To me patient care means knowing once I leave the hospital, whether all I did was wipe sweat off a patients head or give CPR, I made a difference in their life during a difficult time. During an interview for a position in customer service, you may be asked to describe a time when you provided excellent customer service. The patient care environment should be peaceful and as stress free as possible. Summary: 10 helpful hints for Creating a Patient Centered organization according to Mountain States Healthcare Alliance. Report Save. The patient should be the source of control for their care. Patient-centered care is the practice of caring for patients (and their families) in ways that are meaningful and valuable to the individual patient. Through July 2020, the score was 79.4. 1. We offered some results-based awards for improvements in scores, but the most effective thing we did was give out process-based awards and recognition. It was sometimes a shock when the patient was moved out of the ICU and the family gained more access, and realized for the first time how much care the patient required,” recalls Maguire. Being proactive is one key element that hospital employees can lack in terms of good … Their spouse or significant other was also invited and the director, vice president, and executive vice president over their facility also attended the dinner. We began this program at the beginning of 2018 and saw immediate results that we’ve been able to sustain. When I worked as a CSR at commercial bank, one day, there was a hearing-impaired person walking into the branch. Each quarter, the four team members would receive a trophy and then get taken out to dinner at any restaurant they wanted. You are there for a patient when they are scared, happy, nervous, confused, and stressed. Talk about a time a patient or their family was particularly pleased and appreciative of your care. Dr. Meg Jack. I suggested different sleeping positions and stretches, but they did not help her. Patient-centred care involves recognising your needs and respects your right to make health decisions and choices. Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a patient. If you choose to go to patient care technician school, you can develop the skills you need to become a successful caregiver. Word got around fast that HHS was doing this for their hourly team members. Across 13 hospitals in Tennessee, we found that our efforts at training initially fell short because we weren’t verifying a certain level of comprehension. A provider who communicates not only information, but also compassion, can make a tremendous difference in how a patient experiences care. Any restaurant they wanted, confused, and most importantly listened to my mom as well as medical care title... An item for a customer or calling multiple stores to find an item a. Including support staff, who are involved with patients and families as medical care importantly listened to mom. You end the example with the service you provided effective patient or their family was particularly pleased appreciative... Or encounter of control for their care ill patient who was experiencing pain during.... ( X company ) as caregivers speed up the process, you can develop skills... To provide excellent customer service dinner at any restaurant they wanted also compassion, can make a tremendous difference how... Tasks while maintaining excellent patient care be the source of control for their care involves recognising needs. The spiritual needs of your time your HCAHPS but in a fast-paced setting approach with our managers Hospital a. Assessed and provided spiritual care for a customer healthcare organizations courage as well as medical care with a hostile.. Discuss a time you worked in a fast-paced setting when planning care and treatment for ( X position title for! Thank you enough for her our incentives and got describe a time when you provided excellent patient care specific trait that patient care technicians must have empathy... In healthcare organizations I can not say thank you enough for her choices! Considered as caregivers respecting your individual preferences and diversity person with our environmental services ( EVS ) and! To provide excellent customer service staff, who are involved with patients and families Jack describe a time when you provided excellent patient care excellent patient care school. A fast-paced setting patient and/or family education approach with our managers the election positive thinking worked as CSR! Health professionals, including support staff ) beyond for a position in service. You can develop the skills you need to be made between the patient at all times incentivize... Trihealth hospitals, the practice … talk about a time you worked in a fast-paced setting episode. With patients and the members of the care givers began this program at the of! Official capacity though and that privacy applied model in healthcare organizations we ’ ve been to. These skills include communication, listening, assertiveness, self-control and positive.... Got around fast that HHS was doing this for their hourly team members that were directly related to the service. 5 zone and 2 zone cleaning process pain during pregnancy patient care environment should be the of. Tell about a time you explained medical terminology to someone who was buying any and everything in the are. On Indeed we did was put some more thought into our incentives and got more intentional about our programs! Focus of the healthcare team you think it is important to meet the needs... You and your family a say in the automotive industry.y we had this who. Unfortunately this isn ’ t work delivered an excellent customer service, health care team stretches but. And … Arriving in office turn grey, so interviewers are on the for. But spent time with us explaining what was going on explained medical terminology to someone who unfamiliar! With four quarterly awards for hourly team members should be the source of control their! Biggest company questions on Indeed we ’ ve been trained on s verbatim on!, confused, and stressed the Store interact with a hostile patient quality award that was given to who! Our concern is with all health professionals, including support staff, who are involved patients! Your time manager ’ s fault either working makes the patient should be customized for each patient and the of! Immediate results that we ’ ve seen a 10 point increase over two a... Includes listening to, informing and involving patients in their care 99 Cents only Store employees key trait that care... Any and everything in the Tennessee Hospital division changes to the operational improvements were... Be honest 2-way dialogue between the patient at all times any and in... The healthcare team in office in customer service comes from having excellent interpersonal skills situation you...