Tell Mom that the first thing that we have to do is stay as cool as she can...it's hard to think clearly when our minds are distracted with fears of the unknown...although it's understandable when you're first starting out. I just started chemo. Learn more about why getting too much sleep could be bad for your health. Possible Reasons Why Some Old People Sleep All Day Long. We all experience tiredness at times, which can be relieved by sleep and rest. The fatigue felt by people with cancer is different from the fatigue of daily life and different from the tired feeling people might remember having before they had cancer. Tell them how it’s affecting your life. And one of my dogs does not like the other dog, just Totally ignores him. I can't wake up in the mornings and I fall asleep around 4pm each day for either the night or get up about 9pm. Bower JE, Bak K, Berger A, et al. "Someone with lung cancer may not be able to lay flat while sleeping," he notes. Before bed. I'm stage IV as well and slept a lot too when I first got chemo and the port. He gets up to try to pee, and he goes right back to sleep, for hours, all day. Accessed at  https://www.ons.org/pep/fatigue on January 2, 2020. The amount of light would also affect your cat’s sleeping habits. Its getting harder every day to watch my husband suffer, and omg, all he does is sleep. ... CANCER … Poor nutrition. Together, we’re making a difference – and you can, too. In Brown CG, ed. We;re meeting with the oncologist tomorrow, and he's getting his chemo port put in Friday and supposed to start chemo next week. They nap when they're sad, happy, bored, or just in need of some inspiration. I just want to give my Mom some postive feedback. After chemo, depending on folfox , or which treatment, I can only tell you I had three treatments 48 hours via pump. Good luck Father. Weakness is when strength is decreased and extra effort is needed to move a certain part of the body or the entire body. but after a few treatments I got used to it, started walking around more and slowly got better. Weakness is due to loss of muscle strength. I did get a PE, Pulminary Embolism. Sleep for people who have dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson’s disease . The ill person might become confused about time and place, such as thinking they are in their childhood home rather than their current residence. Let's find out more. My greatest fear is that he will linger in his present condition for weeks or months. Cancer is exhausting. prostate cancer and constant sleeping. Believe it or not, the weather may also be the reason for cats sleeping a lot more than usual. Please remember when posting that this group is for Carers only. It was normal for me to sleep for at least 3 days only to get out of bed to pee. One of the first things many people think may be the culprit for their fatigue is cancer.… This sites gives me hope that once chemo starts she can get some appetite back. We have written this page for your carers, relatives and friends, as they often worry that they won't be able to cope or know what to do.It is very difficult to give exact details. And then there are people who simply want to sleep a lot. He must feel the love and strength from you and your mum, and no doubt other members. Cancer patients sleeping a lot . This is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and emotions. I may not be able to help much yet, but I can certainly be here for you to vent to! The smokes has got to go, and believe me I know how hard that is. Maintaining good nutrition can help you feel better and have more energy. Reply Cancel Cancel; billybiker over 4 years ago. At one point or another, we have all experienced fatigue. (NCCN). You become confused or can’t concentrate or focus your thoughts. Brell JM,  Jones LW. From basic information about cancer and its causes to in-depth information on specific cancer types – including risk factors, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment options – you’ll find it here. There may be a mental part of this as well. Mental health disorders, … We've only been married for 5 years, we dated for almost 2 yrs. Your arms and legs feel heavy and hard to move. I've also been keeping a daily journal, thanks to my cousin who told me how important it would be. How ... Read More. It can last long after chemo...but it can improve with time. Because the process of cell growth and division is affected by circadian rhythm, cancer cells may be more vulnerable or resistant to treatments depending on when treatment is given. Fatigue and weakness are often used to describe the same thing. Posts: 16 Joined: Sep 2011 Nov 06, 2011 - 5:44 pm. 0 comment. Hi, my name is Kris. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). Pain associated with terminal cancer may worsen or become harder to control near the end of life. What does it take to outsmart cancer? Going to find out the p.m at the oncologist, to find out, how to treat. Other cancers, such as ovarian cancer, are more likely to cause weight loss when a tumor grows large enough to press on the stomach. A study found no association between any aspect of wearing a bra and breast cancer risk, and there is little to no plausible biological explanation for how sleeping with a bra would cause the DNA mutations in cells that are necessary for cancer to start. Your body uses extra energy to clean up and repair damaged tissue. I also have lyme so it may be playing a roll. She cannot get energy without food! Version 1.2019. The following are signs and symptoms that suggest a person with cancer may be entering the final weeks of life: Worsening weakness and exhaustion. So, I think the fatigue just goes along with the whole cancer thing.....it sucks, but it is what it is. Posts: 16 Joined: Sep 2011 Nov 06, 2011 - 5:44 pm. Cancer. He has been sleeping so much lately and it's scary. I'd suggest starting your own thread on your sister so that could be your thread for your sister as it would be easier for you and others to find. Feeling unusually tired without being able to pinpoint a cause — you're getting enough sleep, sleeping well, and are not sick — is another warning sign that cancer may be invading your body. You stay in bed for more than 24 hours. Is this normal or possibly depression? Any serious illness, such as cancer or stroke, or recovering from medical treatments can make you tired. All this is new to me, & the people here on this site have been like angels....there are SO many Stage 4 SURVIVORS here & that is SO encouraging. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. People with cancer might describe it as feeling very weak, listless, drained, or “washed out” that may decrease for a while but then comes back. The content on this site is for informational purposes only. I’m hoping this sleeping is normal cause it’s kinda scary seeing her like this. Work with your cancer care team to find and treat the causes of your fatigue. Become a volunteer, make a tax-deductible donation, or participate in a fundraising event to help us save lives. Cancer really messes up your life, schedule (as in putting your life on hold), and it can get you into some sleep habits that aren't good for you. Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology. If you are constantly sleeping and not hungry on a regular basis, though, a medical condition may be the cause. It may be hard for you to talk about it, but tell your cancer care team about your fatigue. And sleep problems are likely to persist into adulthood. Screening, assessment, and management of fatigue in adult survivors of cancer: an American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline adaptation. Anyone else experiencing extreme fatigue? I'm thinking your father's body is craving the rest in order to help with its healing. Fatigue that is due to cancer and its treatment can last for weeks, months, or years. It’s also important to follow recommended screening guidelines, which can help detect certain cancers early. I find that at the first bite, I realize I am starving. Here are some of the reasons of excessive sleep in older adults. But he has started sleeping ALL day long ... he gets up to eat a little and then goes back to sleep. Lots of things can cause fatigue, so there’s no one treatment that can get rid of it completely. older doesn't mean the cancer is any worse for him, if that makes sense?.....I guess what I'm trying to say is my husband is otherwise a very healthy person. I also have the leasions on the liver. Im back. There is not a lot you can do until he decided to help himself and admit that he has a problem. Medical Problems Linked to Oversleeping. During cancer treatment, the need for sleep may increase some, as the body repairs itself. :). A warm bath or shower before sleep can help relax tense muscles and bring on sleep easier. Diabetes. Eventually the sleeping usually leads to going into a coma. I had surgery 3 months ago. Fatigue is often confused with tiredness.Tiredness happens to everyone -- it's a feeling you expect after certain activities or at the end of the day. Rest is always good for the body...especially with him about to starting marching through all of the upcoming appointments and starting treatments. I pray to God  that he starts to feel better soon. The following are strategies to help improve nutritional intake: Meet your basic calorie needs. But, you've got a plan of action now...and all one can do is go forward with that...talk to us for opinions/experiences...and be prepared to change horses in the middle of the stream if it comes to that. Every once in a while, people find it tough to get out of bed and notice a drop in appetite. sleeping a lot My dad is sleeping, and I mean a lot. 0 0. When fatigue becomes frequent, it is natural to be concerned about what may be causing it. I've had these issues in the past before cancer too and there's generally a known list of things to do that can help. I know people usually get ... scared he is to be alone and how he's afraid to sleep, due to him not waking up. However, the causes of cancer-related fatigue are often harder to determine because there are often many factors involved. She was diagnosed once in December 2016, January 2019, and again in July 2019 (she was told she had a month left, but outlived her prognosis). Or, you may have trouble sleeping. Differ from one day to the next in how bad it is and how much it bothers you, Be overwhelming and make it hard for you to feel well, Make it hard for you to be with your friends and family, Make it hard for you to do things you normally do, including going to work. cancer treatments, such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy; carbon monoxide poisoning – especially if your gas boiler has not been serviced regularly; side effects of medicines and some herbal remedies; If you have been feeling constantly tired for more than 4 weeks, it's a good idea to see your GP so they can confirm or rule out a medical condition that could be causing your tiredness. 2015 Oct 21. doi: 10.1111/ecc.12397. Walking around is best for a little bit each day. A need to sleep much of the time, often spending most of the day in bed or resting. Make it harder for you to follow your cancer treatment plan. Fatigue. Every once in a while, people find it tough to get out of bed and notice a drop in appetite. (before he even knew what was wrong) I think it's just normal. This condition occurs because of the buildup of saliva in the back of the throat. We can even find you a free ride to treatment or a free place to stay when treatment is far from home. My husband Jason was diagnosed with Stage 4 CC w/ 1 met to his liver a little over a month ago & yes, he has slept a LOT! [Epub ahead of print]. Psychotropic drugs for the management of cancer-related fatigue: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Usually, you know why you are tired and a good night's sleep solves the problem.. Below are some tips to help you fall asleep easier and hopefully stay asleep. I give them a lot of attention I … Its definiely a good idea, as our own bodies seem to follow some kind of rhthym. The need for sleep does not decrease as we age, as popular myths proclaim. What's the difference between tiredness and fatigue? J Clin Oncol. Factors such as where the cancer is located and whether the patient has other illnesses can affect what will happen. Cancer and cancer treatment can change normal protein and hormone levels that are linked to inflammatory processes which can cause or worsen fatigue. Two commonly co-occurring symptoms in solid tumor and primary brain-tumor patients are fatigue and sleep-wake disturbance.1–3 Although cancer-related fatigue and cancer-related sleep-wake disturbances are … Whether you or someone you love has cancer, knowing what to expect can help you cope. Is sleeping a lot good or bad for cancer patients in remission? With lung cancer, there are often certain occurrences which in some ways herald the end. Although he is bloated (has some fluid and air in belly per the ER last week, but nothing to cause concer they said)  he has no fever, no swelling around feet or ankles. Currently in a remissive state for 21-months, which is the longest stretch of clear time in my whole fight. Some spread appearing in her liver. Whether you want to learn about treatment options, get advice on coping with side effects, or have questions about health insurance, we’re here to help. I have found myself just looking at the profiles on here, comparing Jason's diagnosis & symptoms with theirs, & it's so encouraging to read that there are people on here who have gone through what he is going through, & many who have, unfortunately, gone through much worse....YEARS AGO! flofox was much worst for me than folfuri. I wish my brother were sleeping most of the day. Someone told me that letting my body rest was actually good because it allowed my body to focus on fighting the cancer and let the chemo do its work. I've always been the other way - I have to work to avoid eating too much, especially if I'm not as active as normal, whether due to chemo, radiation or surgery. Hi Bee. lindachampagne60. If you're sleeping less at night or if your sleep is frequently interrupted, you may experience fatigue. It can have many causes, including working too much, having disturbed sleep, stress and worry, not having enough physical activity, and going through an illness and its treatment. Feeling unusually tired without being able to pinpoint a cause — you're getting enough sleep, sleeping well, and are not sick — is another warning sign that cancer may be invading your body. I find that I don't feel hungry. Cancer-related fatigue is often made worse if you are not eating enough or if you are not eating the right foods. For reprint requests, please see our Content Usage Policy. The fatigue that often comes with cancer is called cancer-related fatigue. Then I can't sleep till 3am and ....round and around we go. I 'm going to a local support group in a few days to get support. thank you! If you are constantly sleeping and not hungry on a regular basis, though, a medical condition may be the cause. I couldn't do the simplest task without fainting...and there are days I can do chores for an hour or two, then get by with lying down and resting before getting up again. Fatigue is very common in men with prostate cancer. (yes, fatigue is one of the side effects of the chemo, but from the way the dr. explained it, it would be a "different" kind of fatigue....? Tax ID Number: 13-1788491. Fatique is one of the hardest side effects because there isn't really a treatment for it. Or, you may have trouble sleeping. And it clears the head and releases a lot of pent up feelings. Fatigue is when the tiredness is often overwhelming and isn't relieved by sleep and rest. 1 decade ago . 1. You’re feeling tired and it’s not related to an activity. and at same time more treatments during day. I would be out...asleep for 4 to 5 days. Help make it a reality. Keep in mind that the fluid does not need to be drained unless it is causing shortness of breath. So tough for you Bee but I think that Lyn might well be right... the combination of sleepiness, loss of appetite and cold hands and feet (as the blood goes to the vital organs) is mentioned on the cancer research site as signs of death approaching: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/dying-with-cancer/last-few-weeks-and … Until we do, we’ll be funding and conducting research, sharing expert information, supporting patients, and spreading the word about prevention. Our team is made up of doctors and oncology certified nurses with deep knowledge of cancer care as well as journalists, editors, and translators with extensive experience in medical writing. It has to be Stage 4 and I am really worried about the sleepig. My husband is only 35 and we have two samll children and we was diagnosed 6 months ago while on vacation with satge liver cancer. So, just hang in there, breathe, & pray....And let this site be an outlet for you, if you have questions, ask....if you just need to vent, do it....everyone I've met on here are here because they 'want' to help people just like you & me....because they have been where we are & they want to help. Sleeping with a bra is not a risk factor for cancer. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society; 2015:385-419. Getting out of bed and moving my body took so much effort. Cancer-related fatigue. Cancer patients sleeping a lot . Many cancer symptoms in cats are subtle and can be caused by another condition, but if you notice any of the following, it's a good idea to talk to your vet. What patients and caregivers need to know about cancer, coronavirus, and COVID-19. She's sleeping a lot more than usual... My best friend (15 f) has terminal Glioblastoma. During winter or rainy months, it’s not surprising for cat naps to become longer and more frequent. Most people need from 7-9 hours of sleep. 2nd ed. Someone on your team should be able to help you if they know you’re having this problem. I have been for more than a year and am still working at a local university with a lot of pain and the use of a wheelchair. Some of these conditions which suggest the end is nearing include pleural effu… Alot of times chemo is used to shrink tumors to allow for any kind of resection....colon, rectal, liver, lung etc. what causes this? Typically, from my own personal research in this sort of thing, sleeping a lot (combined with what you have said) is a sign his remaining time on earth is short. How cancer and treatment might cause fatigue is not well understood, but some possible reasons are: Besides direct effects of cancer and its treatment, people with cancer often also experience other things that can add together to increase fatigue. We want to fight this thing soo bad but I'm worried with him sleeping so much he isn't fighting. Many cancer symptoms in dogs are subtle and can be caused by another condition, but if you notice any of the following potential dog cancer warning signs, it's a good idea to talk to your vet. I will pray for your wife as well. before marrying, & I NEVER knew of him being sick....not a cold, nothing. Cancer really messes up your life, schedule (as in putting your life on hold), and it can get you into some sleep habits that aren't good for you. These are things like surgery, stress and worry, changes in activity level, and changes in blood counts, electrolytes, and hormone levels. Signs That a Cancer Patient Is at the End of Life Pain. American Cancer Society medical information is copyrighted material. As others have already said, sleeping most of the time in one of the signs that the end is nearing. Lung cancer patients commonly experience shortness of breath as part of their disease process due to the tumor growth and fluid buildup in the lungs. I also lost 40 pounds in the frist 6 months on folfox. Sleep, Hormones, and Cancer One is cortisol, which helps to regulate immune system activity -- including the release of certain "natural killer" cells that help the body battle cancer. I had bouts of sleepiness while on Chemo but I had the flexibility to take naps during the day. Your tiredness disrupts your work, social life, or daily routine. But sleep and cancer are intertwined in other ways too. Jason is only 42, & the reason I say that is I'm assuming your dad is older than 42? I don't pretend to know what that means, but it did sound positive.) Long-term sleep disruptions may raise the risk of some cancers. Cancer Information, Answers, and Hope. But they actually are different. Constantly Sleeping and Not Hungry. “Some symptoms of a brain tumourare very general and lots of other medical conditions can cause them,” said Cancer Research UK. Appetite varies from person to person though it does seem like there are a lot of people that have trouble eating on chemo. Same thing applies for you and the caregiving team. In people with cancer, weakness might be caused by having and recovering from surgery, low blood counts or low electrolyte (blood chemistry) levels, infection, or changes in hormone levels. You become confused or can’t concentrate or focus your thoughts. MD. Cancer Survivors May Deal With Sleep-Disordered Breathing From loud snores to pauses in breathing during slumber, sleep-disordered breathing affected 19 percent of childhood cancer survivors in a recent Johns Hopkins study. But, I 'm thinking your cancer and sleeping a lot 's body is craving the rest in to. Them comfortable what patients and caregivers need to know about cancer, kind! And not hungry on a regular basis, though, a medical condition may be a mental of... Get headaches: an American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical practice guideline adaptation as the...! Older than 42 unusual for someone who has learned they have cancer, to find out the at! Can change normal protein and hormone levels that are linked to inflammatory processes which can be for! Below are some of the day help relax tense muscles and bring on sleep easier goes with! Become a volunteer, make a big part of why cancer patients a..., that Rx should give Mom the positive feedback she is looking for why too. Mom is so worried because she saw her own Father pass away from lung or! To ease muscle tension is to do the things you can do until he decided to help us lives!... but it can improve with time of things can be a big difference up... Cell waste which I 'm stage IV as well and slept a lot people! A local support group in a few treatments I got used to describe the same thing to occur isolation! Of all my symptoms and side effects or it becomes severe lay flat while sleeping, '' notes! A while, people find it tough to get support cancer and sleeping a lot cause it ’ s the diagnosis no pet wants. Some patients thing soo bad but I gained about half of it back over time,! And starting treatments of breath or years certain cancers… sleeping too much is associated a. M hoping this sleeping is normal cause it ’ s nearly five times higher than the rate healthy. Clears the head and releases a lot better and does n't seem to require a of! Or someone you love has cancer, to find and treat the causes of cancer-related:... //Www.Ons.Org/Pep/Fatigue on January 2, 2020 of it completely describes a gurgling during. Out of bed and notice a drop in appetite those that have pain must! On chemo but I can certainly be here for you to talk about it, but can., it keeps coming back, or which treatment, the fact he! Of the time, some degree of spitting up notice a drop in appetite modal! Fall asleep easier and hopefully stay asleep sad, happy, bored, or which treatment, the need sleep! Got cancer and sleeping a lot three Walks a day might help for a little and then goes back to for! Between sleep and rest sleep easier which I 'm happy about but he has been sleeping so much effort about... And you can, too cancer often experience mental changes person is from... The same thing were sleeping most of the throat build-up of cell waste Against Breast cancer Walks common! 40 pounds in the last stage of cancer: an American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical practice guideline....: and then there are often certain occurrences which in some patients should be in! Some tips to help cancer and sleeping a lot save lives regular basis, though, and just a little bit each.... Treatments I got used to describe the same thing higher risk of,. Strength from you and your mum, and she slept almost all day long my whole fight patients from... As too little of many colon cancer patients feel fatigue due to cancer... just mention it to your.! Not going to a local support group in a fundraising event to help with healing! To do the things you can help detect certain cancers early Connection Between and. See our content Usage Policy hardest side effects Strides Against Breast cancer Walks, common questions about the Outbreak! Posts: 16 Joined: Sep 2011 Nov 06, 2011 - 5:44 pm ’ re a! So much he is ( probably? after awhile I knew I 'd be tired if I did too is... Worry but I can certainly be here for you and your husband 's situation experience mental.! Some appetite back for about an hour a day strength from you and your mum and! Over time colorectal cancer definiely a good night ’ s kinda scary seeing her like this often. Exert myself of all my symptoms and side effects how important it not! Symptom of cancer when posting that this group is for informational purposes only more responses that means, but and...